Your Daily Reprieve October 7, 2026

 

October 7, 2026

Waynesville, NC


Thoughts to Start Your Day

_________________________



What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.


–Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

______________________________________



Do not let a desire for wealth cause you to become so consumed by your work that you prevent happiness for yourself and your family. Happiness is foremost. A look filled with understanding, and accepting smile, a loving word, a meal shared in warmth and awareness are the things which create happiness in the present moment. By nourishing awareness in the present moment, you can avoid causing suffering to yourself and those around you.


–Thich Nhat Hanh

______________________________________


"We will be more reconciled to discussing ourselves with another person when we see good reasons why we should do so. The best reason first: If we skip this vital step, we may not overcome drinking. Time after time newcomers have tried to keep to themselves certain facts about their lives. Trying to avoid this humbling experience, they have turned to easier methods. Almost invariably they got drunk."


– Pgs. 72-73 – Into Action

 ______________________________________


Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.


– Helen Keller


_____________________________________



If You'd Like To Sign Up

ADD A Friend , A Sponsee, A Sponsor or a Newcomer

To Your Daily Reprieve Email List Use This Link

https://lp.constantcontactpages.com/sl/bJDtvfe


Untitled_Landing_Page_created_at_Tue_Sep_22_190242_EDT_2026


BIG BOOK QUOTE


October 7

ME AN ALCOHOLIC?


– Alcohol’s wringer squeezed this author–but he escaped quite whole.


My story has a happy ending but not of the conventional kind. I had a lot more hell to go through. But what a difference there is between going through hell without a Power great than one’s self, and with it! As might have been predicted, my teetering tower of worldly success collapsed. My alcoholic associates fired me, took control, and ran the enterprise into bankruptcy. My alcoholic wife took up with someone else, divorced me, and took with her all my remaining property. The most terrible blow of my life befell me after I’d found sobriety through A.A. Perhaps the single flicker of decency that shone through the fog of my drinking days was a clumsy affection for my two children, a boy and a girl. One night my son, when he was only sixteen, was suddenly and tragically killed. The Higher Power was on deck to see me through, sober. I think He’s on hand to see my son through too.


p. 387


__________________________________________________________


12-Steps & 12-Traditions


October 7

Tradition Two – “For our group purpose, there is but one ultimate authority – a loving God as He may express Himself in our group conscience.”

What are these facts of A.A. life which brought us to this apparently impractical principle? John Doe, a good A.A. moves – let us say – to Middletown, U.S.A. Alone now, he reflects that he may not be able to stay sober, or even alive, unless he passes on to other alcoholics what was so freely given him. He feels a spiritual and ethical compulsion, because hundreds may be suffering within reach of his help. Then, too, he misses his home group. He needs other alcoholics as much as they need him. He visits preachers, doctors, editors, policemen, and bartenders … with the result that Middletown now has a group, and he is the founder.


pp. 132-133




DAILY SHARE

__________________________________


AA Speaker of the Day


Clif G

Altanta Round-Up

Oklahoma City, OK

July 2026


https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GzIq2Snw_blAE0Pc0hRGM8jo7_vFacKy/view?usp=sharing

__________________________________



ZOOM

Loose Garment Group

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/238977518

Saturday & Sunday….

Topic: Pot Luck…9AM EST

ID: 238 977 518

PW: 004 394


Celebrate Your Anniversary Here

SHOW NEWCOMERS HOW IT WORKS!!

Send your sober date and location to :

sober@yourdailyreprieve.com


I always thought that posting our locations with our anniversaries was a great way to show newcomers that AA is all over the world. We don't celebrate for our own benefit.


We celebrate anniversaries to show the program works.

If we add our locations we get to show that AA works EVERYWHERE!

-- Tom


In the meantime if you have an anniversary this month but are not seeing your name here please email me with your Name, Sobriety Date (09/01/2020), and your Location (City/State - City/Country) so that I can update the list and your profile.


I put directions to update your own profile. We plan to use the contact infomation used for regisrtation to compile the birthdays from now on.



OCTOBER 2026 MIRACLES

(Click on Image to download a PDF)




 Drop a Buck in the Basket?


PayPal PayPal.com/paypalme/donationforYDR

or

Venmo @yourdailyreprieve



The cost to mail Your Daily Reprieve

just went up to $200 a month!!


Thank you everyone for your generous contributions.


As Bill Sees It


October 7


Speak Up Without Fear, p.278


Few of us are anonymous so far as our daily contacts go. We have dropped anonymity at this level because we think our friends and associates ought to know about A.A. and what it has done for us. We also wish to lose the fear of admitting that we are alcoholics. Though we earnestly request reporters not to disclose our identities, we frequently speak before semi-public gatherings. We wish to convince audiences that our alcoholism is a sickness we no longer fear to discuss before anyone.


If, however, we venture beyond this limit, we shall surely lose the principle of anonymity forever. If every A.A. felt free to publish his own name, picture, and story, we would soon be launched upon a vast orgy of personal publicity.


“While the so-called public meeting is questioned by many A.A. members, I favor it myself providing only that anonymity is respected in press reports and that we ask nothing for ourselves except understanding.”


1. Grapevine, January 1946

2. Letter, 1949



TWENTY-FOUR HOURS


October 7


A.A. Thought For The Day

Do I put too much reliance on any one member of the group? That is, do I make a tin god out of some one person? Do I set that person on a pedestal? If I do, I am building my house on sand. A.A. members have “clay feet.” They are all only one drink away from a drunk, no matter how long they have been in A.A. This has been proved to be true more than once. It’s not fair to any member to be singled out as a leader in A A. and to always quote that member on the A.A. program. If that person should fail, where would I be?


Meditation For The Day

You must always remember that you are weak but that God is strong. God knows all about your weakness. He hears every cry for mercy, every sign of weakness, every plea for help, every sorrow over failure, every weakness felt and expressed. We only fail when we trust too much to our own strength. Do not feel bad about your weakness. When you are weak, that is when God is strong to help you. Trust God enough, and your weakness will not matter. God is always strong to save.


Prayer For The Day

I pray that I may learn to lean on God’s strength. I pray that I may know that my weakness is God’s opportunity.



A Day At A Time


October 7


Reflection For The Day

When I first read the Serenity Prayer, the word “serenity” itself seemed like an impossibility. At the time, the word conjured up images of lethargy, apathy, resignation, or grim-faced endurance; it hardly seemed a desirable goal. But I’ve since found that serenity means none of those things.


Serenity for me today is simply a clear-eyed and realistic way of seeing the world, accompanied by inner peace and strength. My favorite definition is, “Serenity is like a gyroscope that lets us keep our balance no matter what turbulence swirls around us.” Is that a state of mind worth aiming for?


Today I Pray

May I notice that “serenity” comes first, ahead of “courage” and “wisdom,” in the sequence of the Serenity Prayer. May I believe that “serenity” must also come first in my life. I must have the balance, realistic outlook and acceptance that is part of this blessing of serenity before I can go on to the kind of action and decision-making that will bring order to my existence.


Today I Will Remember

Serenity comes first.



DAILY THOUGHTS

___________________________________________________________

^*^*^*^*^

(\~AA~/)

(  \(AA)/  )

(_ /AA\ _)

/AA\

^*^*^*^*^


Restraint


"Our first objective will be the development of self-restraint. This carries a top priority rating. When we speak or act hastily or rashly, the ability to be fair-minded and tolerant evaporates on the spot. One unkind tirade or one willful snap judgment can ruin our relation with another person for a whole day, or maybe a whole year. Nothing pays off like restraint of tongue and pen."


c. 1952 AAWS

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 91



Thought to Consider . . . 

The tongue must be heavy indeed,

because so few people can hold it.



*~*AACRONYMS*~*


B E S T

Been Enjoying Sobriety Today?



___________________________________________________________



DAILY REFLECTION


October 7

DAILY MONITORING


Continued to take personal inventory.

- TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 88


The spiritual axiom referred to in the Tenth Step–”every time we are disturbed, no matter what the cause, there is something wrong with us”–also tells me that there are no exceptions to it. No matter how unreasonable others may seem, I am responsible for not reacting negatively. Regardless of what is happening around me I will always have the prerogative, and the responsibility, of choosing what happens within me. I am the creator of my own reality. When I take my daily inventory, I know that I must stop judging others. If I judge others, I am probably judging myself. Whoever is upsetting me most is my best teacher. I have much to learn from him or her, and in my heart, I should thank that person.




POT LUCK



Your worth is not established by teaching or learning.

Your worth is established by God.

Nothing you do or think or wish or make is necessary to establish your worth.


- Helen Schucman, scribe of "A Course in Miracles".




I have spent the last 30 years of my life wanting more, thinking that in proving myself I would be worthy of the love and affection I deserved and this would determine my value. I was always seeking the best path to take to show everyone what I could do and that I was worthy of more of their love and praises.


Turning my life and my will over to God has allowed me to see that, no matter what I may think, in God's eyes I am worth plenty, and this has given me so much peace. I now know that what others say or think about me is not going to make me worthy or worthless. Allowing God to run the show and doing the next right thing is all I need to do. I don't have to concern myself if I am of value to anyone; I am of value to God, and that is all that counts.


Unknown





Thank you for all the prayers and wishes for our Friend Tom Murphy on what would have been his 77th Birthday


If you are not aware as yet, we have sad news that Tom Murphy, our dear friend, was lost to us on the 7th of August, 2026. Tom was the creator of "Your Daily Reprieve".


We are linking Tom's Obituary here for all of you to read. There was a Celebration of Life, on what would have been his 77th birthday on September 26th, 2026.



Here is a link to the zoom recording, for those that would like hear or see the event.


Audio Only


Video


(Please go to 1:31:40 for the Sharing on either of these until we can edit them)




Excellent Resource

Blogs, Audio and Video Articles

(Note: I have not as yet verified the below links)

https://takethe12.org/

 

***************************

 

"AA Recovery Interviews" Podcast

https://aarecoveryinterviews.com

 

Blog

http://todaysreprieve.blogspot.com/


 

Wee Willie’s

Sobriety First Media

AA CD’s Literature and tapes

https://www.mediafire.com/sobrietyfirst

 


***************************

 

AA Membership Survey 2022

Alcoholics Anonymous 2022 Membership Survey | Alcoholics Anonymous

 

 

Committee Consideration

from the 73rd General Service Conference

In response to a Committee Consideration from the 73rd General Service Conference

regarding any possible future changes to literature written by A.A.’s founders,

 that committee agreed it would be beneficial to gather shared experience

from the Fellowship regarding this topic.

Questionaire

 

How Should We Treat A.A. Founders' Writings?

 https://bit.ly/3uhEPBK

 

 ***************************

 

DR. PAUL O.

There is More to Quitting Drinking Than Quitting Drinking

(Audio Book)

Introduction

http://bit.ly/1IlFBbp

Part I

http://bit.ly/1MPV5Za

Part II

http://bit.ly/1Ksd9eA

Part III

http://bit.ly/1GQCGGE

Part IV

http://bit.ly/1Ip0hn8




** AA CDs Literature and tapes**

https://www.mediafire.com/sobrietyfirst

 

  ***************************


**ZOOM MEETINGS**

 

Loose Garment Group

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/238977518

Saturday & Sunday….Pot Luck…0900

ID: 238 977 518

PW: 004 394

 

***************************

 

**ARCHIVES**



AA World Service Board Meeting Highlights

October 2023

 https://bit.ly/3GlcOvE



A New Pair of Glasses in PDF (download) is available at:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wcwMUtoED7Rzjdb40_YDe8fVOBqjtCfT/view?usp=sharing

 

Bill Schaberg

Writing The Big Book

Video Readings

https://www.youtube.com/@billschaberg8911/videos

 

BIG BOOK for DUMMIES

Big Book for Dummies - YouTube

 

https://bit.ly/4xHU0QA



*Angel Force USA

www.AngelForceUSA.com

Angel Force USA is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.

OUR MISSION

STOP SUISILENCE

The avoidance of discussion about suicide

Our goal is to raise awareness of the military suicide epidemic.




 RICHMOND WALKER & THE TWENTY-FOUR HOUR BOOK

Glenn C. (South Bend, Indiana)

Talk given at the 8th Annual National A.A. Archives Workshop, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Sept. 27, 2003

https://www.prestongroup.org/aa_docs/24_hours_a_day.txt



***************************


**MEDITATIONS**


Loving Kindness Meditations

 With Music

http://www.11thstepmeditation.org/

 

http://www.excelatlife.com/mp3/direct_download.php?file=lovingkindnessmusic.mp3

 

 

Voice only

http://www.excelatlife.com/mp3/direct_download.php?file=lovingkindness.mp3

 

*****


Free Guided Meditations

http://marc.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=22



Resources

MOOJI GUIDED Meditation

http://bit.ly/2Ogwe9v

 

***************************

 

**PODCASTS**


https://www.aagrapevine.org/podcast



***************************

  

12 Step Meditations

 www.stepmeditation.com

 

These are 12 meditations,

each about 12 minutes long and the content

(other than the meditation instructions)

are straight from the text of the big book and 12 & 12

(created by Matt H.)

 


*************************** 


Speaker Recordings

 

Wee Willie’s

Sobriety First Media

AA CD’s Literature and tapes

https://www.mediafire.com/sobrietyfirst


 

The Lights are On

http://xa-speakers.org/

 

 

Recovery Speakers

http://recoveryspeakers.com/

 

Miscellaneous Sources


Note from the Editor


Thanks for all the reply emails. Due to my schedule I am sadly lacking time to respond to each one. I would still love to hear from all of you and to get your Sobriety Anniversary and if possible your City/State/Country so that I can be sure to add you to the Birthday's List each month. I will do my best to find times on the weekend to review and respond to as many as possible.


Also, I respect that some of you may not see a value in the 'Your Daily Reprieve' email since our friend Tom passes on to the BIG MEETING, so I encourage you to let me know how you feel I might be able to better reach you with the daily email.


Update 2: Responding to a few comments, I have done by best to reduce the lengthliness of the email, by returning to the original format Tom had been using last year. I do hope that this will be a good change for everyone.


SHARE THIS EMAIL WITH FRIENDS AND FAMILY
LinkedInShare This Email

If you would like to modify/update your contact profile, please click on the below "Update Profile" Hyperlink. There are some new fields in your contact profile for Sobriety Date, Homegroup, and Meeting Day(s)/Time(s).



If we can get all the Sobriety Dates and City/State or City/Country information put into the system, it will make compiling the Anniversary (Birthday) list much easier.

Comments