Friday, April 17, 2020

Your Daily Reprieve 04.18.20





Your Daily Reprieve for Saturday  April 18 , 2020

From Waynesville, NC


“Today I refuse to stress myself out
about the things I cannot control or change.”
~~Anonymous

A spiritual path boiled down to five words.
Please practice daily the five H's:
Happy
Hopeful
Humble
Helpful
Honest
~Anonymous

"The problem is not that there are problems.
The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking
that having problems is a problem."
--Theodore Rubin

A straight oar looks bent in the water.
What matters is not merely that we see things
but how we see them.
~ Michel de Montaigne

“As I carried the Fourth Step into the next directional action, the Fifth
... I began to gain by pain, to win by losing,
to get control by letting go of control.
And good feelings poured in from all sides.
I discovered how many words that I had been fond of using
were actually traps, setting off negative thinking –
‘If only...,’ ‘You always...,’ ‘never,’ ‘forever,’ ‘If you would only...,’ and so on.
I dug in and tried desperately to change word habits,
to share time instead of spending it.”
~Grapevine: Pompano Beach, Florida, June 1978

Big Book Quote


"...the main problem of the alcoholic centers in his mind, rather than
in his body."

~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, There Is A Solution, Page 23~






Daily Share!

AA Speaker of the Day

EARL H.
Steps 3-5



Wee Willie’s
Sobriety First Media
AA CD’s Literature and tapes






Celebrate Your Anniversary Here
SHOW NEWCOMERS HOW IT WORKS!!
Send your sober date to txm1@comcast.net


YOUR NAME
YOUR LOCATION
YEARS SOBER
6/10 (mo/day)
Bob S
Akron, OH
83

It will look like this :
6/10 Bob S. (Akron, OH).....84

APRIL 2020 Miracles

4/1 Jack D. Hampton, NH)…..51
4/1 Kevin B. (Godshill, UK)…..32
4/1 Cary W. (Palm City, FL)…..13
4/1 Valerie A. (Phoenix, AZ)…..2
4/1 Ron F. (Cincinnati, OH)…..43
4/1 Joyce G. (Haverhill, MA)…..32
4/1 Janie C. (Lynbrook, NY)…..30
4/1 Ray D. (Hot Springs, NC/Exeter, NH)…..34
4/1 Brian N. (Diamondhead, MS)…..7
4/1 Sherry G. (Princeton, NJ)…..32
4/2 Justin L. (Waynesville, NC)…..2
4/2 Julian M. (St. Albans, UK)…..2
4/3 Leigh A. ()…..22
4/4 Tim D. (Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica)…..9
4/4 Bob C. (Akron, OH)…..18
4/5 Mark S. (Southampton, Hants, UK)…..2
4/5 Tim F. (Hobe Sound, FL)…..31
4/6 Eugene R. (Barcelona, Spain)…..6
4/6 Nick E. (East Twickenham, UK)…..21
4/7 Mark V. (Indian Trail NC)…..5
4/7 Thorson R. (Wellington, FL)…..3
4/7 Madeleine M. (Groveland, MA)......37
4/7 Corry P. (New York)…..2
4/7 Walt C. (College Station, TX)…..6
4/7 Jane T. (Vancouver, BC)…..34
4/8 Paul K. (Akron, OH)…..16
4/8 Ashley G. (Miami, FL)…..8
4/8 Maureen K. (New Providence, NJ)…..10
4/9 Travis C. (Eureka, CA)…..1
4/9 Dayton H. (NYC, NY)…..30
4/9 Keith R. (Ixtlahaucan MX)…..1
4/9 Bobby M. (Smithtown, NY)…..5
4/10 Tony K. (Jacksonville, FL)…..3
4/10 Kevin L. (Cherry Hill, NJ)…..37
4/10 Chas T. (Aiken, SC)…..8
4/11 Diane L. (Panama City Beach, FL)…..42
4/11 Diane M. (Waynesville, NC/Jax, FL)…..12
4/11 Jeremy S. (Austin, TX)…..8
4/11 Emily W. (Astoria, NY)…..6
4/11 Jerry W. (Walker, LA)…..47
4/11 Chrissy M. (Succasunna, NJ)…..11
4/12 Kathy McQ. ()…..12
4/12 Kathleen M. (Kentucky)…..32
4/12 Lisa S. (Valley Cottage, NY)…..18
4/14 Barbara B. ()…..1
4/14 Sue B. (Waynesville, NC)…..10
4/15 Erin S. (Wayland/Nantucket MA)…..15
4/15 Kelly McG. (Edison, NJ)…..5
4/15 Larry R. (Westchester, NY)…..41
4/16 Angela S. (Dallas, TX)…..1
4/16 Lindsay P. (Minneapolis, MN)…..4
4/17 Jay M. (Cleveland. OH)…..6
4/17 Cecily T. (New York, NY)…..11
4/17 Vicky M. (Waynesville, NC)…..39
4/17 Frank T. (Rocky Point, NY)…..11
4/17 Vince K. (Palm City, FL)…..38
4/17 Rich W. (Evanston, IL)…..3
4/18 Steve Q. (Kauai, HI)…...12
4/18 Brad G. (St. Louis, MO)…..19
4/18 Liz A. (Westfield, NJ)…..9
4/19 Joanna J. (Port St. Lucie, FL)…..39
4/19 Lynn H. (Springfield, IL)…..38
4/19 Rex R. (Eureka, CA)…..6
4/21 Tom Mc. (Leesburg, FL)…..50
4/21 Elizabeth W. (The Main Line, PA)…..14
4/22 Becky S. (Knoxville, TN)…..10
4/22 Jeannie C. (Nantucket, MA)…..28
4/22 Jack C. (Conroe, TX)…..1
4/23 Dorothy V. (Placida, FL)…..16
4/23 Tom K. (Tampa FL/Canton, OH)…..25
4/23 Steve W. (Syracuse, NY/Indialantic, FL)…..15
4/24 Larry C. (Davenport, FL)…..30
4/24 Sam F. (New York City)…..2
4/24 Fran D. (Randolph, NJ)…..45
4/25 Mark S. (Port Crane, NY)…..5
4/25 Rourke H. (St Maarten, Dutch West Indies))…..21
4/26 Grainne F. (Dublin/Chaing Mai, Thailand)…..10
4/26 Margi W. ()…..3
4/26 Cliff M. (Newburyport, MA)…..10
4/27 Norma D. (Haverhill, MA).....9
4/27 Kathy C. (Princeton, NJ)…..12
4/27 Maureen (Port Charlotte, FL)…..31
4/27 Nesem G. (Basking Ridge, NJ)…..2
4/28 Brian C. (Davenport, FL)…..22
4/28 Laurie M. (new Jersey)…..35
4/28 Julie T. (Morristown, NJ)…..7
4/28 Bobby S. (South Boston, MA)…..18
4/28 Amanda S. (Newburgh, NY)…..2
4/29 Paul C. (New York/Florida)…..44
4/30 Sandra M. (Airdrie, Scotland)…..31


1596 Total Years of Sobriety


12&12

Step Ten - "Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it."

Before we ask what a spot-check inventory is,
let's look at the kind of setting in which such an inventory can do its work.
It is a spiritual axiom that every time we are disturbed,
no matter what the cause, there is something wrong with us.
If somebody hurts us and we are sore, we are in the wrong also. But are there no exceptions to this rule? What about "justifiable" anger? If somebody cheats us, aren't we entitled to be mad? Can't we be properly angry with self-righteous folk? For us of A.A. these are dangerous exceptions. We have found that justified anger ought to be left to those better qualified to handle it.

p. 90


Twenty-Four Hours

A.A. Thought For The Day

As I look back over my drinking career, have I learned that
you take out of life what you put into it? When I put
drinking into my life, did I take out a lot of bad things?
Hospitals with the D.T.'s? Jails for drunken driving? Loss
of job? Loss of home and family? When I put drinking into my
life, was almost everything I took out bad?

Meditation For The Day

I should strive for a friendliness and helpfulness that will
affect all who come near to me. I should try to see something
to love in them. I should welcome them, bestow little
courtesies and understandings on them, and help them if they
ask for help. I must send no one away without a word of cheer,
a feeling that I really care about them. God may have put the
impulse in some despairing one's mind to come to me. I must
not fail God by repulsing that person. They may not want to
communicate with me unless they are sure of a warm welcome.

Prayer For The Day

I pray that I may warmly welcome all who come to me for help.
I pray that I may make them feel that I really care.



Daily Thought
^*^*^*^*^
(\  ~~~  /)
(     \(
AA)/    )
(_ /
AA\ _)
 /
AA\
^*^*^*^*^
Prayer

"In A.A. we have found that the actual good results of prayer are beyond question. They are matters of knowledge and experience. All those who have persisted have found strength not ordinarily their own. They have found wisdom beyond their usual capability. And they have increasingly found a peace of mind which can stand firm in the face of difficult circumstances."
Bill W., Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 104
As Bill Sees It, p. 127

Thought to Consider . . .

T
rying to pray is praying.

*~*AACRONYMS*~*

P U S H
Pray Until Something Happens




Daily Reflection

SELF-HONESTY
The deception of others is nearly always rooted in the
deception of ourselves. . . . When we are honest with
another person, it confirms that we have been honest with
ourselves and with God.
AS BILL SEES IT, p. 17
When I was drinking, I deceived myself about reality,
rewriting it to what I wanted it to be. Deceiving others is a
character defect—even if it is just stretching the truth a bit
or cleaning up my motives so others would think well of
me. My Higher Power can remove this character defect, but
first I have to help myself become willing to receive that
help by not practicing deception. I need to remember each
day that deceiving myself about myself is setting myself up
for failure or disappointment in life and in Alcoholics
Anonymous. A close, honest relationship with a Higher
Power is the only solid foundation I've found for honesty
with self and with others.


Pot Luck  

Finding Ourselves

During my first months of recovery I couldn't stop saying, “That's me.”

               Yes, I would think, at almost every disclosure about themselves that people at meetings made. “I understand why you did that,” I tell them afterward. “That's the same kind a lot so thing used to do”.

               During those disclosures I felt like an orphan who has found his family of origin, or like the hero of the song “Country Roads”  who comes home to a place he’s never been before. I also felt a little like an adventurer who stumbles on a magic realm, Shangri-La, or an ancient city of the Incas. I can't feeling I found a treasure. These people were just like me.

               Sure I had hard days once in a while. I get angry with the traffic, angry with my boss, angry with the family. But always at the center my  being is the knowledge that I can go away and get calm. I can go away and get calm at a meeting.  A good quiet time is one where I allow myself really to get down into my meditation, Down out of the wanna that distinguish my life, Down into the universals that unite all our lives. Bad quiet times, by contrast, are those what I just go through the paces, read-my-reading-say-my-prayers-and-think-okay-that’s-done.

               Finding the people who are just like me at meetings is enabling me to find the spirituality at the center of my being, this spiritual creature is, I think, the real me. This spiritual creature can do many things that the old material being could not do. He can stay late at work without feeling resentful.  He can give up the shortcut home in favor of just driving along. He can say okay when the family proposes doing something at night he had not planned on doing. He does not have to go to a special place to feel it is being fully himself. He five cities fully himself when he says yes. When he goes along with the spirit of things instead of trying to fit the spirit of things into his own self-conditioned ruts.

               So what am I saying? That I am most me when I am least concerned with what I want (or what I think I want) .That I am happiest when I seized the inspiration of the moment. That I am closest to my fellows, and my God, when I let go.

               Walk softly and carry a big stick? Not this guy. I walk softly and carry no stick it all.      

“Finding Ourselves” . Stepping Stones to Recovery for Men








Speaker Recordings

Wee Willie’s
Sobriety First Media
AA CD’s Literature and tapes
*****

The Lights are On


Recovery Speakers
http://recoveryspeakers.com/


COVID-19 LINKS



On Line Meetings Directory


Sybil

Elizabeth

Hugh

China AA Loners




ARCHIVES

*NEW*
GUIDED MEDITATION
http://bit.ly/2Ogwe9v


An On-Line Study Resource

Daily Meditations Group Home


Daily Meditations Archive

Blog
http://todaysreprieve.blogspot.com/



Your Daily Reprieve is now on Facebook
It is a PRIVATE GROUP
To be added, email: sober@yourdailyreprieve.com
Please share your wisdom, anecdotes and travels with other members of Your Daily Reprieve.

Twitter


AA Membership Survey (2014)

2015



Meditation Resources


*****

Loving Kindness Meditations

With Music



Voice only

*****
Free Guided Meditations
http://marc.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=22



Resources

Great Minds Quotes

BIG BOOK SEARCH ENGINE:

Twenty Four Hours a Day
Since 1954, Twenty-Four Hours a Day has become a stable force in the recovery of many alcoholics
throughout the world. With over nine million copies in print (the original text has been revised),
this "little black book" offers daily thoughts, meditations, and prayers for living a clean and sober life.
A spiritual resource with practical applications to fit our daily lives.
Copyright 1975 Hazeleden Foundation

Tammy’s recovery links

NEW!
Twisted Thinking Making Sense Out of Nonsense:
Change Happens by Changing Your Perception
by Georgia Hughes


AA Photo Archives

Heard at A Meeting

Breast Cancer Site
Take a minute and click to provide free mammograms

MEN FIGHTING CANCER TOGETHER
America’s largest volunteer men’s cancer support group
and advocacy national nonprofit organization.

Big Book Quotes

The Universe

Prayables
http://prayables.org/



As We See It (AWSI)


Keep It Simple
Hazelden Meditations


Daily Thought

Speaker Recordings
{Under Reconstruction}

Wisdom of the Room


To comment or to unsubscribe:

Tom Murphy
C 508.221.8896
Skype txmurphy


405 Winchester Creek Rd
Waynesville, NC
28786

PASS IT ON







No comments:

Post a Comment