Friday, November 8, 2019

Your Daily Reprieve 11.09.19





Your Daily Reprieve for Saturday November  9, 2019

From Waynesville, NC



The doorstep to the temple of wisdom
is a knowledge of our own ignorance.
~Benjamin Franklin

“Well-remembered is the comfort I used to take from an exaggerated belief in my own honesty ... I was so absurdly proud of my business standards that I never failed to whip up a fine contempt for those of my fellow Wall-Streeters who were prone to short-change their customers. This was arrogant enough, but the ensuing self-deception proved even worse. My prized business honesty was presently converted into a comfortable cloak under which I could hide the many serious flaws that beset other departments of my life. Being certain of this one virtue, it was easy to conclude that I had them all. For years on end, this prevented me from taking a good look at myself.” ~ AA Co-Founder, Bill W., August 1961


"My family is Temperamental.
Half Temper, Half Mental."
~Anonymous

Not everyone thinks the way you think…
knows the things you know…
believes the things you believe…
nor acts the way you would act…
remember this and you will go a long way
in getting along with people…
~Arthur Forman


Big Book Quote

Nearly every modern employer feels a moral responsibility for the
well-being of his help, and he tries to meet these responsibilities.
That he has not always done so for the alcoholic is easily
understood. To him the alcoholic has often seemed a fool of the
first magnitude. Because of the employees special ability, or of his
own strong personal attachment to him, the employer has sometimes kept such a man at work long beyond a reasonable period. Some employers have tried every known remedy. In only a few instances has there been a lack of patience and tolerance. And we, who have imposed on the best of employers, can scarcely blame them if they have been short with us.

~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, To Employers, pg. 137~




Daily Share!

AA Speaker of the Day

SCOTT LEE
Florida State Convention
2005


Wee Willie’s
Sobriety First Media
AA CD’s Literature and tapes






Celebrate Your Anniversary Here
SHOW NEWCOMERS HOW IT WORKS!!
Send your sober date to txm1@comcast.net



YOUR NAME
YOUR LOCATION
YEARS SOBER
6/10 (mo/day)
Bob S
Akron, OH
83

It will look like this :
6/10 Bob S. (Akron, OH).....84

November 2019 Miracles

11/1 Trish H. (Brick, NJ)…..28
11/2 Liz L. (Bernardsville, NJ)…..12
11/2 Ruth H. (Brielle, NJ/Key Largo, FL)…..1
11/2 Joyce C. (Sasn Diego, CA)…..9
11/3 Katy R. (Portland, OR)…..28
11/3 MaryBeth F. (Bernardsville, NJ)…..5
11/3 Lori Z. (Milford, NH)…..21
11/4 Pat O’D. (Boston,MA)…..39
11/4 Lou L. (Smithtown, NY)…..23
11/5 Kent L. (Silverdale, WA)…..34
11/5 Donna M. (Methuen, MA)…..13
11/5 Chrissie R. (Hilton Head, SC)…..1
11/7 Leslie E. (Mamaroneck, NY)…..13
11/7 Harry D. (Hampstead, NH)…..28
11/7 Craig S. (Vero Beach, FL)…..14
11/7 Sandi A. (Bristol, UK)…..45
11/8 Brian R. (Olney, MD)…..4
11/9 Matt K. (Bernardsville, NJ)…..9
11/9 Joanne B. (Danvers, MA)…..14
11/10 Russ S. (Palm City, FL)…..34
11/10 Aaron M. (Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica)…..1
11/11 Jay D. (Danbury, CT/Stuart, FL)…..38
11/11 Lee J. (Waikiki, HI)…..30
11/12 Ray G. (Massillon, OH)…..7
11/12 Billy M. (NY, NY)…..3
11/13 Zack A. (NY, NY)…..5
11/13 Henry E. (Marlboro, MA)…..27
11/13 Paul M. (Aberystwyth, Wales)…..10
11/13 Joe J. (Ludlow, VT)…..14
11/15 Jamie G. (Seymour, CT)…..4
11/16 Monte M. (Conway, NH)…..15
11/16 Jayne W. (Algarve, Portugal)…..34
11/17 Danny K. (Astoria, NY)…..10
11/18 Alex S. (NY, NY)…..6
11/19 Eva B-E. (North Port, FL)…..21
11/19 Jarryd K. (Bridgewater, NJ)…..3
11/20 Joseph H. (Jacksonville, FL)…..1
11/22 Terry S. (Maui, HI)…..2
11/22 Brandi S. (Corpus Christi, TX)…..6
11/22 Art K. (Vernon, BC, Canada)…..26
11/23 Alan P. (West Palm Beach, FL)…..49
11/23 Elaine J. (Newport Beach, CA)…..34
11/23 Donna B. (Hampton, NH)…..39
11/23 Mark B. (Boston, MA)…..1
11/23 Colleen M. (Raleigh, NC)…..2
11/24 Ray G. (Bangor, ME)…..51
11/24 Tony da Brooklyn Buddha/Mastic Beach…..17
11/24 Karen P. (Waynesville, NC)…..31
11/24 Imogen B, (London, UK)…..16
11/25 Ronni J. (Michigan City, IN)…..23
11/26 Pam B. (Mukwonago WI/ Summerfield FL)…..35
11/28 Hendy H. (Islington, MA)…..46
11/29 Deleano S. (Virgin Gorda, BVI)…..7
11/30 Dave C. (Methuen, MA)…..22
11/30 Peter V. (Kittery, ME)…..39
11/30 Ted D. (Whitefish Bay, WI)…..8


1028  Total Years of Sobriety

12&12

Step One - "We admitted we were powerless over alcohol--that our lives had become unmanageable."

It is a tremendous satisfaction to record that in the following years this changed. Alcoholics who still had their health, their families, their jobs, and even two cars in the garage, began to recognize their alcoholism. As this trend grew, they were joined by young people who were scarcely more than potential alcoholics. They were spared that last ten or fifteen years of literal hell the rest of us had gone through. Since Step One requires an admission that our lives have become unmanageable, how could people such as these take this Step?

p. 23



Twenty-Four Hours

A.A. Thought For The Day


I have learned to be less negative and more positive.
I used to take a negative view of almost everything.
Most people, in my estimation, were bluffing. There
seemed to be very little good in the world, but lots
of hypocrisy and sham. People could not be trusted.
They would "take you " if they could. All church-goers
were partly hypocrites. It seemed I should take everything
"with a grain of salt." That was my general attitude
toward life. Now I am more positive. I believe in people
and in their capabilities. There is much love and truth
and honesty in the world. I try not to run people down.
Life now seems worthwhile and it is good to live. Am I
less negative and more positive?

Meditation For The Day

Think of God as a Great Friend and try to realize the
wonder of that friendship. When you give God not only
worship, obedience, and allegiance, but also close
companionship, then He can feel that He and you are working
together. He can do things for you and you can do things
for Him. Your prayers become more real to you when you feel
that God counts on your friendship and you count on His.

Prayer For The Day

I pray that I may think of God as my Friend.
I pray that I may feel that I am working for
Him and with Him.


Daily Thought
^*^*^*^*^
(\    ~~    /)
(     \(AA)/     )
(_ /AA\ _)
/AA\
^*^*^*^*^
Amends

"This is a very large order. It is a task which we may perform with increasing skill, but we never really finish. Learning how to live in the greatest peace, partnership, and brotherhood with all men and women, of whatever description, is a moving and fascinating adventure. Every A.A. has found that he can make little headway in this new adventure of living until he first backtracks and really makes an accurate and unsparing survey of the human wreckage he has left in his wake."
c.1952 AAWS
Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 77


Thought to Consider . . .

I
t is the highest form of self-respect to admit mistakes and to make amends for them.

*~*AACRONYMS*~*

S T E P S
Solutions To Every Problem in Sobriety



Daily Reflection

STEPPING INTO THE SUNLIGHT
But first of all we shall want sunlight; nothing much can
grow in the dark. Meditation is our step out into the sun.
AS BILL SEES IT, p. 10

Sometimes I think I don't have time for prayer and
meditation, forgetting that I always found the time to drink.
It is possible to make time for anything I want to do if I
want it badly enough. When I start the routine of prayer
and meditation, it's a good idea to plan to devote a small
amount of time to it. I read a page from our Fellowship's
books in the morning, and say "Thank You, God," when I
go to bed at night. As prayer becomes a habit, I will increase
the time spent on it, without even noticing the foray
it makes into my busy day. If I have trouble praying, I just
repeat the Lord's Prayer because it really covers
everything. Then I think of what I can be grateful for and
say a word of thanks.
I don't need to shut myself in a closet to pray. It can be
done even in a room full of people. I just remove myself
mentally for an instant. As the practice of prayer continues,
I will find I don't need words, for God can, and does, hear
my thoughts through silence.



Pot Luck

"We come to A.A. to get a life, not for A.A. to be our life."

After I got over my old ideas about getting sober and fully surrendered to the program, all I wanted to do was hang out in recovery. I felt comfortable and safe going to two meetings a day, seven days a week, and because I was unemployed, I had the time to do so. After meetings, I loved going to fellowship, and some of my fondest memories to date have been late dinners with a group of other sober people. I didn’t want to engage with any family members, and I no longer spoke to any of my old drinking buddies. I lived in the pink cloud of early recovery and never wanted to leave.

After a while, my sponsor suggested I look for work. He said we become self-supporting through our own contributions once we get sober. At first, I thought the stresses of the real world would be too much, and the thought of leaving the comfort of meetings made me pretty anxious. I resisted until I couldn’t borrow enough to live any longer, and so I finally got a job. I hated it. I grew resentful that I had to get up early, drive in traffic, and do something I thought was beneath me. I kept going to my evening meetings, though, and the succor I found there helped me deal with these feelings.

After changing jobs a few times and settling into a more balanced work/recovery life, I realized what the answer was. The key to feeling the same sense of comfort and safety outside of A.A. was to apply the principles of the program in all of my affairs. And chief among these is to be of service. Today, when I am engaged in any activity, I find the same feelings of fulfillment I get in the rooms as long as I seek to help others. I now know that I was given a life in A.A. so that I can have a meaningful life outside of A.A. as well.








Speaker Recordings

Wee Willie’s
Sobriety First Media
AA CD’s Literature and tapes
*****

The Lights are On


Recovery Speakers
http://recoveryspeakers.com/



ARCHIVES

*NEW*
An On-Line Study Resource

Daily Meditations Group Home


Daily Meditations Archive

Blog
http://todaysreprieve.blogspot.com/




Your Daily Reprieve is now on Facebook
It is a PRIVATE GROUP
To be added, email: sober@yourdailyreprieve.com
Please share your wisdom, anecdotes and travels with other members of Your Daily Reprieve.

Twitter



AA Membership Survey (2014)

2015




Meditation Resources


*****

Loving Kindness Meditations

With Music



Voice only

*****
Free Guided Meditations
http://marc.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=22




Resources

Great Minds Quotes

BIG BOOK SEARCH ENGINE:

Twenty Four Hours a Day
Since 1954, Twenty-Four Hours a Day has become a stable force in the recovery of many alcoholics
throughout the world. With over nine million copies in print (the original text has been revised),
this "little black book" offers daily thoughts, meditations, and prayers for living a clean and sober life.
A spiritual resource with practical applications to fit our daily lives.
Copyright 1975 Hazeleden Foundation

Tammy’s recovery links

NEW!
Twisted Thinking Making Sense Out of Nonsense:
Change Happens by Changing Your Perception
by Georgia Hughes


AA Photo Archives

Heard at A Meeting

Breast Cancer Site
Take a minute and click to provide free mammograms

MEN FIGHTING CANCER TOGETHER
America’s largest volunteer men’s cancer support group
and advocacy national nonprofit organization.

Big Book Quotes

The Universe

Prayables
http://prayables.org/



As We See It (AWSI)


Keep It Simple
Hazelden Meditations


Daily Thought

Speaker Recordings
{Under Reconstruction}

Wisdom of the Room



To comment or to unsubscribe:

Tom Murphy
C 508.221.8896
Skype txmurphy


405 Winchester Creek Rd
Waynesville, NC
28786

PASS IT ON









No comments:

Post a Comment