Friday, September 27, 2019

Your Daily Reprieve 09.28.19




Your Daily Reprieve for Saturday  September  28, 2019

From Waynesville, NC


“If we dwell on the past or the future,
we put ourselves back into the torture chamber.
We stop changing. Boredom, pain, and futility take over again.
We have been ... We will be ... We no longer are.
The 24-hour program disappears.
Anxiety, anger, and a desire for revenge replace spiritual experience.
Awareness and surrender cease. We are on a dry drunk.”
~Grapevine: 1974

Chains of habit are too light to be felt
until they are too heavy to be broken.
~Warren Buffet

All the faults of our mind our selfishness, ignorance, anger,
attachment, guilt, and other disturbing thoughts are temporary,
not permanent and everlasting.
And since the cause of our suffering
our disturbing thoughts and obscurations is temporary,
our suffering is also temporary.
- Lama Zopa Rinpoche

You never know when your unanswered prayers save you from an even worse fate.
May you be blessed with the power of prayer, and the humility to know;
only the Holy One knows exactly what you need.
~Prayables

Big Book Quote

“We have entered the world of the Spirit. Our next function is to
grow in understanding and effectiveness. This is not an overnight
matter. It should continue for our lifetime.”

~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Into Action, pg. 84~



Daily Share!

AA Speaker of the Day

CARL K.
Gold Coast Roundup
09.13.1987


Wee Willie’s
Sobriety First Media
AA CD’s Literature and tapes






Celebrate Your Anniversary Here
SHOW NEWCOMERS HOW IT WORKS!!
Send your sober date to txm1@comcast.net


YOUR NAME
YOUR LOCATION
YEARS SOBER
6/10 (mo/day)
Bob S
Akron, OH
83

It will look like this :
6/10 Bob S. (Akron, OH).....84

September 2019 Miracles

9/1 Julia C. (Dorset, UK)…..17
9/1 Billy K. (Cutchogue, NY)…..19
9/1 George M. (Scottsdale, AZ)…..35
9/1 Richie S. (Plainview, NY)…..28
9/1 Craig G. ()…..26
9/1 Patrick C. (Middlesex, NJ)…..33
9/2 Jim H. (Isle of Lewis, UK)…..7
9/3 Edward H. (Andover, MA)…..36
9/4 LeeAnn N. (New York, NY)…..7
9/4 David F. (New York, NY)…..6
9/5 Chris L. (Bristol, RI)…..31
9/5 James l. ()…..27
9/6 Lisa L. (Stuart, FL)…..10
9/7 Christine L. (Exeter, NH)…..32
9/7 George D. (Port Salerno, FL)…..35
9/7 Robert M. (Guam)…..31
9/7 April/Ginger C. (Hillsdale, NJ) 7
9/8 Javier M. (London, UK)…..2
9/8 Carol Ann B. (Bedminster, NJ)…..23
9/9 Julie K. (Portsmouth, OH)…..18
9/9 Kris K. (New York, NY)…..34
9/10 Kevin D. (Nantucket, MA)…..30
9/10 Sue B. (Haiku, H8I)…..
9/10 Brian O. (Cushendall, Ireland)…..30
9/11 Steve F. (Nyack, NY)…..36
9/11 Deck H. (Oldwick, NJ)…..33
9/12 Sherri C. (Starke, FL)…..1
9/12 Phil C. (Austin, TX)…..9
9/12 Joe C. (Palm Coast/Waynesville)…..29
9/13 Lisa N. (Paramus, NJ)…..8
9/14 Teresa T. (Orlando, FL)…..2
9/14 Linda B. (Port St. Lucie, FL)…..5
9/15 Hillary A. (New York, NY)…..2
9/15 Alicia S. (Albany, NY)…..2
9/15 Stanley R. (Grand Rapids, MN)…..40
9/15 Sue B. (Montpelier, VT/Gulfport, FL)…..6
9/16 Heidi L. (Waynesville, NC)…..13
9/17 Leslie N. (Cassilis, NB, Canada)…..21
9/17 Maureen B. (Plymouth, MA)…..44
9/17 Jim W. (Methuen, MA)…..42
9/18  Jim H. (Houston, TX)…..9
9/18 George P. (London, England)…..34
9/19 John A. (Gainseville, GA)…..8
9/19 Diana D. (Newport, RI)…..25
9/19 Elaina C. (NYC, NY)…..8
9/20 Donald P. (Rockland, ME)…..24
9/20 Paul T. (Hobe Sound, FL)…..8
9/20 Dawn D. (New York, NY)…..10
9/20 Linda K. (Toronto/Port Charlotte, FL)…..7
9/21 Lisa O. (Roundhill, VA)…..5
9/21 Paul W. (Byfield, MA)…..26
9/21 Beth G. (Los Angeles, CA)…..40
9/21 John P. (Basking Ridge, NJ)…..4
9/22 Peter H. (Nantucket, MA)…..20
9/23 David A. (New York City, NY)…..18
9/23 Rick B. (Stowe, VT)…..27
9/23 Bill G. (Marblehead, MA)…..34
9/24 Larry C. (Davenport, FL)…..29
9/24 Adam T. (Hastings-on-Hudson, NY)…..34
9/24 Katie S. (New Vernon, NJ)…..19
9/24 Tim B. (Raleigh, NC)…..14
9/25 Cate M. (Weaverville, NC)…..37
9/25 Mary D. (New Rochelle, NY)…..2
9/26 Ari B. (New York, NY)…..1
9/27 Sheila C. (Falmouth, MA)…..5
9/27 Sarah M. D. (NJ)…..2
9/28 Paul W. (Springfield, NJ)…..30
9/28 Scott B. (Epping, NH)…..23
9/28 June T. (Palm Desert, CA/Nantucket,MA)…..13
9/29 Judy F. (Nantucket/ Marathon, FL)…..27
9/29 Joan F. (Westhampton, NY/PBG, FL)…..9
9/30 Shannon L. (Garfield, NJ)…..2
9/30 Sheree H. (Bellevue, WA)…..5
9/30 Dominick N. (NY)…..37
9/30 Jack M. (Plymouth, mA)…..6

1383 Total Years of Sobriety


12&12

Tradition Ten - "Alcoholics Anonymous has no opinion on outside issues; hence the A.A. name ought never be drawn into public controversy."

The Washingtonian Society, a movement among alcoholics which started in Baltimore a century ago, almost discovered the answer to alcoholism. At first, the society was composed entirely of alcoholics trying to help one another. The early members foresaw that they should dedicate themselves to this sole aim. In many respects, the Washingtonians were akin to A.A. of today. Their membership passed the hundred thousand mark. Had they been left to themselves, and had they stuck to their one goal, they might have found the rest of the answer. But this didn't happen. Instead, the Washingtonians permitted politicians and reformers, both alcoholic and nonalcoholic, to use the society for their own purposes. Abolition of slavery, for example, was a stormy political issue then. Soon, Washingtonian speakers violently and publicly took sides on this question. Maybe the society could have survived the abolition controversy, but it didn't have a chance from the moment it determined to reform America's drinking habits. When the Washingtonians became temperance crusaders, within a very few years they had completely lost their effectiveness in helping alcoholics.

p. 178


Twenty-Four Hours

A.A. Thought For The Day

For the past two months we have been studying passages
and steps from the Big Book. Now why not read the book
itself again? It is essential that the A.A. program become
part of us. We must have its essentials at our finger tips.
We cannot study the big book too much or too often. The
more we read it and study it, the better equipped we are
to think A.A., act A.A., and live A.A. We cannot know too
much about the program. The chances are that we will never
know enough. But we can make as much of it our own as
possible. How much of the Big Book have I thoroughly mastered?

Meditation For The Day

We need to accept the difficulties and disciplines of life
so as to fully share the common life of other people. Many
things that we must accept in life are not to be taken so
much as being necessary for us personally, as to be experienced
in order that we may share in the sufferings and problems of
humanity. We need sympathy and understanding. We must share
many of the experiences of life, in order to understand and
sympathize with others. Unless we have been through the same
experiences, we cannot understand other people or their makeup
well enough to be able to help them.

Prayer For The Day

I pray that I may accept everything that comes my way as part
of life. I pray that I may make use of it in helping my fellow men.


Daily Thought
^*^*^*^*^
(\    ~~    /)
(     \(
AA)/     )
(_ /
AA\ _)
/
AA\
^*^*^*^*^
Surrender


"There are two things I've learned from this program. First, to surrender completely. I was fighting a losing battle with the bottle. I gave up, and through defeat, I won. Second, to change myself, because the world isn't going to change to suit 'poor little old me.' It's just this simple - whatever it is in me that led me down the alcoholic road to misery, I no longer want any part of it."
c.1976 AA for the Woman 
(AA Pamphlet P-5), p. 17


Thought to Consider . . .

T
ake a walk with God. He will meet you at the Steps.

*~*AACRONYMS*~*

A S A P
Always Say A Prayer







Daily Reflection

LOVE WITHOUT STRINGS
Practical experience shows that nothing will so much
insure immunity from drinking as intensive work with other
alcoholics.
ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 89

Sponsorship held two surprises for me. First, that my
sponsees cared about me. What I had thought was gratitude
was more like love. They wanted me to be happy, to grow
and remain sober. Knowing how they felt kept me from
drinking more than once. Second, I discovered that I was
able to love someone else responsibly, with respectful and
genuine concern for that person's growth. Before that time,
I had thought that my ability to care sincerely about
another's well-being had atrophied from lack of use. To
learn that I can love, without greed or anxiety, has been
one of the deepest gifts the program has given me.
Gratitude for that gift has kept me sober many times.



Pot Luck

"How come you don't drink anymore?" a renewed acquaintance from long ago asked the other day.
"Anymore than who?, I asked.
"I mean any longer. How come you don't drink anything these days?"
"Drink? I drink...coffee, milk, juice, tea, soda pop, water..."
"I mean drink" he said, "you know, booze."
"Oh, booze, no I don't drink booze any more, you're right," I said, "I couldn't trust it anymore. It turned on me. Once my friend, it became my enemy."
"Maybe you got a bad batch." he said.
"No the sauce is the same. I changed. Because I have this illness of alcoholism, my tolerance weakened. Alcoholism doesn't come in bottles, it comes in people."
"Sounds pretty confusing" the fellow said.
"You think you're confused," I said, "You should have seen me. I drank for happiness and became unhappy. I drank for joy and became miserable. I drank to be outgoing and became self-centered. I drank for sociability and became argumentative and lonely. I drank for sophistication and became crude and obnoxious. I drank for friendship and made enemies. I drank to soften sorrow and wallowed in self-pity. I drank for sleep and wakened without rest. I drank for strength and felt weak. I drank medicinally and got sick. I drank because I thought my job called for it and I lost my job. I drank for relaxation and got the shakes. I drank for confidence and became uncertain. I drank for courage and became afraid. I drank for assurance and became doubtful. I drank to stimulate thought and blacked out. I drank to make conversation and it tied my tongue. I drank for warmth and lost my cool. I drank for coolness and lost my warmth. I drank to feel heaven and came to know hell. I drank to forget and became haunted. I drank for freedom and became a slave. I drank to erase problems and saw them multiply. I drank to cope with life and invited death, or worse. I drank because I had the right and everything turned out wrong."
"Gosh!" My friend exclaimed, "That must have taken a bunch of booze to get you in that shape."
"Just one" I told him, "The first one. For me one is too many, and a thousand is not enough."









Speaker Recordings

Wee Willie’s
Sobriety First Media
AA CD’s Literature and tapes
*****

The Lights are On


Recovery Speakers
http://recoveryspeakers.com/


ARCHIVES

*NEW*
An On-Line Study Resource

Daily Meditations Group Home


Daily Meditations Archive

Blog
http://todaysreprieve.blogspot.com/



Your Daily Reprieve is now on Facebook
It is a PRIVATE GROUP
To be added, email: sober@yourdailyreprieve.com
Please share your wisdom, anecdotes and travels with other members of Your Daily Reprieve.

Twitter


AA Membership Survey (2014)

2015



Meditation Resources


*****

Loving Kindness Meditations

With Music



Voice only

*****
Free Guided Meditations
http://marc.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=22



Resources

Great Minds Quotes

BIG BOOK SEARCH ENGINE:

Twenty Four Hours a Day
Since 1954, Twenty-Four Hours a Day has become a stable force in the recovery of many alcoholics
throughout the world. With over nine million copies in print (the original text has been revised),
this "little black book" offers daily thoughts, meditations, and prayers for living a clean and sober life.
A spiritual resource with practical applications to fit our daily lives.
Copyright 1975 Hazeleden Foundation

Tammy’s recovery links

NEW!
Twisted Thinking Making Sense Out of Nonsense:
Change Happens by Changing Your Perception
by Georgia Hughes


AA Photo Archives

Heard at A Meeting

Breast Cancer Site
Take a minute and click to provide free mammograms

MEN FIGHTING CANCER TOGETHER
America’s largest volunteer men’s cancer support group
and advocacy national nonprofit organization.

Big Book Quotes

The Universe

Prayables
http://prayables.org/



As We See It (AWSI)


Keep It Simple
Hazelden Meditations


Daily Thought

Speaker Recordings
{Under Reconstruction}

Wisdom of the Room


To comment or to unsubscribe:

Tom Murphy
C 508.221.8896
Skype txmurphy


405 Winchester Creek Rd
Waynesville, NC
28786

PASS IT ON







No comments:

Post a Comment