Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Your Daily Reprieve 08.15.19





Your Daily Reprieve for Thursday August 15, 2019

From Waynesville, NC


"Keep your head where your feet are."
~Cindy Bolz


"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact.
Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
~Marcus Aurelius

You don't paddle against the current, you paddle with it. 
And if you get good at it, you throw away the oars.
~Kris Kristofferson

The AA Experience -------
A new beginning with a different ending~
~Anonymous

"The things you do for yourself are gone when you are gone,
but the things you do for others remain as your legacy."
~Anonymous


Big Book Quote

"Now and then the family will be plagued by spectres from the past, for the drinking career of almost every alcoholic has been marked by escapades, funny, humiliating, shameful or tragic. The first impulse will be to bury these skeletons in a dark closet and padlock the door. The family may be possessed by the idea that future happiness can be based only upon forgetfulness of the past. We think that such a view is self-centered and in direct conflict with the new way of living."

~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, The Family Afterward, pg. 123~




Daily Share!

AA Speaker of the Day

STEVE L.
Chapters To Recovery
Working With Others


Wee Willie’s
Sobriety First Media
AA CD’s Literature and tapes






Celebrate Your Anniversary Here
SHOW NEWCOMERS HOW IT WORKS!!
Send your sober date to txm1@comcast.net


YOUR NAME
YOUR LOCATION
YEARS SOBER
6/10 (mo/day)
Bob S
Akron, OH
83

It will look like this :
6/10 Bob S. (Akron, OH).....84

AAugust 2019 Miracles

8/1 Bill H. (Wells, ME/Melbourne Beach, FL)…..10
8/2 Gary K. (Kelowna, BC)…..50
8/2 Melissa S. (Center Moriches, NY)…..4
8/3 Rosemary B. (Bernardsville, NJ)…..26
8/3 Dan S. (Glen Rock, NJ )…..4
8/4 Dan M. (Nantucket, MA)…..17
8/4 Bethany C. (Jacksonville, FL)…..1
8/4 Bob M. (NY,NY)…..31
8/5 Jonathan P. ()…..7
8/5 Mary OO (Mountain Brook, AL)…..39
8/6 Jason J. (Maggie Valley, NC)…..7
8/6 Cathy W. ()…..37
8/7 Scott B. (San Diego, CA)…..8
8/8 Chris G. (Palm City, FL)…..15
8/8 Chuck H. (Portsmouth, RI)…..1
8/8 Louise M. (Danville, VA)…..10
8/8 Leslie N. (Tinton Falls, NJ)…..31
8/8 David T. (Newmarket, NH)…..37
8/10 Tracey D. (New York, NY)…..15
8/10 Doug W. (Houston, TX)…..8
8/11 Page H. (Amelia Island, FL)…..43
8/11 Bert R. (Nantucket, MA)…..22
8/11 Caroline O. (Leicestershire, UK)…..10
8/12 Chip D. (Nantucket, MA)…..14
8/12 John K. (Jacksonville, FL)…..21
8/12 Sally L. (Methuen, MA)…..7
8/12 Carolyn K. (Wrentham, MA)…..14
8/13 Matt K. (Westboro, MA)…..30
8/13 Gerry S. (Basking Ridge, NJ)…..14
8/13 Tom O’C. (Miami Beach, FL)…..34
8/14 Dottie Lou W. (St Simons Island, GA)…..34
8/14 Bob M. (Waynesville, NC)…..1
8/14 Spence B. (Gambier, OH)…..25
8/14 Mary H. (NYC, NY)…..30
8/15 Mark C. ()…..28
8/15 Clif G. (Oklahoma City, OK)…..18
8/15 Steve B. ()…..5
8/15 Siobhan M. (NYC, NY)…..20
8/15 Bill L. (Port Charlotte, FL)…..15
8/16 Madeline V. (Bozeman, MT)…...32
8/16 Charlotte C. (New York, NY)…..10
8/16 Shawn R. (Toronto)…..4
8/16 Tracy N. (Stuart, FL)…..13
8/17 Charlie K. (Bay Village, OH)…..21
8/18 Carolyn D. (Palm City, FL)…..6
8/18 Chris A. (Montreal, Quebec)…..20
8/18 Steve C. (Jacksonville, FL)…..1
8/19 Carol B. (Nantucket, MA)…..11
8/20 Larry B. (Kansas City, KS)…..18
8/20 Yog F. (Lake City, CO)…..36
8/21 Cheryl L. (Leucadia, CA)…..7
8/23 John B. (Northport, FL)…..27
8/24 Claire S. (Garnersville, NY)…..32
8/24 Mike R. (RI)…..3
8/27 Greg R. (NYC, NY)…..12
8/27 Stuart W. (Old Tappan, NJ)…..18
8/28 GregH. (Morristown, NJ)…..1
8/29 Lynn H. (San Diego, CA)…..5
8/30 Chris B. (Sandwich, NH)…..27
8/30 Jeff G. (Warren, NJ)…..6

1038 Total Years of Sobriety


12&12

Tradition Six - "An A.A. group ought never endorse, finance, or lend the A.A. name to any related facility or outside enterprise, lest problems of money, property, and prestige divert us from our primary purpose."

In one of their trade associations, the question arose of just how this campaign should be handled. Of course, they would use the resources of radio, press, and films to make their point. But what kind of person should head the job? They immediately thought of Alcoholics Anonymous. If they could find a good public relations man in our ranks, why wouldn't he be ideal? He'd certainly know the problem. His connection with A.A. would be valuable, because the Fellowship stood high in public favor and hadn't an enemy in the world.

p. 157

Twenty-Four Hours

A.A. Thought For The Day

"Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic. Commencing to drink after
a period of sobriety, we are in a short time as bad as ever. If we
have admitted we are alcoholics, we must have no reservations of any
kind, nor any lurking notion that some day we will be immune to
alcohol. What sort of thinking dominates an alcoholic who repeats
time after time the desperate experiment of the first drink?
Parallel with sound reasoning, there inevitably runs some insanely
trivial excuse for taking the first drink. There is little thought
of what the terrific consequences may be." Have I given up all
excuses for taking a drink?

Meditation For The Day

"Where two or three are banded together, I will be there in the
midst of them." When God finds two or three people in union, who
only want His will to be done, who want only to serve Him, He has
a plan that can be revealed to them. The grace of God can come to
people who are together in one place with one accord. A union like
this is miracle-working. God is able to use such people. Only good
can come through such consecrated people, brought together in
unified groups for a single purpose and of a single mind.

Prayer For The Day

I pray that I may be part of a unified group. I pray that I may
contribute my share to its consecrated purpose.


Daily Thought
^*^*^*^*^
(\    ~~    /)
(     \(
AA)/     )
(_ /
AA\ _)
/
AA\
^*^*^*^*^
Courage

"We never apologize to anyone for depending upon our Creator. We can laugh at those who think spirituality the way of weakness. Paradoxically, it is the way of strength. The verdict of the ages is that faith means courage. All men of faith have courage. They trust their God. We never apologize for God. Instead we let Him demonstrate, through us, what He can do. We ask Him to remove our fear and direct our attention to what He would have us be. At once, we commence to outgrow fear."
1976 AAWS, Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 68

Thought to Consider . . .

S
obriety gives me what alcohol promised.

*~*AACRONYMS*~*

A L C O H O L I C S
A Life Centered On Helping Others Live In Complete Sobriety





Daily Reflection

DIDN'T WE HURT ANYBODY?
Some of us, though, tripped over a very different snag. We
clung to the claim that when drinking we never hurt
anybody but ourselves.
TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 79

This Step seemed so simple. I identified several people
whom I had harmed, but they were no longer available.
Still, I was uneasy about the Step and avoided
conversations dealing with it. In time I learned to
investigate those Steps and areas of my life which made me
uncomfortable. My search revealed my parents, who had
been deeply hurt by my isolation from them; my employer,
who worried about my absences, my memory lapses, my
temper; and the friends I had shunned, without explanation.
As I faced the reality of the harm I had done, Step Eight
took on new meaning. I am no longer uncomfortable and I
feel clean and light.



Pot Luck

"Advice that is not asked for is criticism."
I have someone in my life who, after asking me how I’m doing and I begin to tell her, immediately starts telling me the things I need to change or start doing. Until this quote, I didn’t realize that the reason her unasked-for advice made me feel so bad was that it was thinly veiled criticism of the way I was living my life.

Thank God the program doesn’t work that way. If people in the program, or my sponsor, started giving me unsolicited advice or telling me what to do, I would have left long ago. Instead, people give me suggestions (when I ask for them) based on their own experience. If they had a similar situation as mine and they did something that worked for them, then they may suggest that it might work for me as well. It’s up to me at that point to try it or not.

Because of the program, I have learned to apply this wisdom in my other relationships also. In fact, people now call me a good listener, and it’s because I know that all that people really want is to be heard and understood. If asked, the best I can do is share my experience with a similar situation—if I have it. Otherwise, it’s best to just listen, empathize, and help them process their experience. That’s always better than giving advice that’s not asked for.



Speaker Recordings

Wee Willie’s
Sobriety First Media
AA CD’s Literature and tapes
*****

The Lights are On


Recovery Speakers
http://recoveryspeakers.com/


ARCHIVES

*NEW*
An On-Line Study Resource

Daily Meditations Group Home


Daily Meditations Archive

Blog
http://todaysreprieve.blogspot.com/



Your Daily Reprieve is now on Facebook
It is a PRIVATE GROUP
To be added, email: sober@yourdailyreprieve.com
Please share your wisdom, anecdotes and travels with other members of Your Daily Reprieve.

Twitter


AA Membership Survey (2014)

2015



Meditation Resources


*****

Loving Kindness Meditations

With Music



Voice only

*****
Free Guided Meditations
http://marc.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=22



Resources

Great Minds Quotes

BIG BOOK SEARCH ENGINE:

Twenty Four Hours a Day
Since 1954, Twenty-Four Hours a Day has become a stable force in the recovery of many alcoholics
throughout the world. With over nine million copies in print (the original text has been revised),
this "little black book" offers daily thoughts, meditations, and prayers for living a clean and sober life.
A spiritual resource with practical applications to fit our daily lives.
Copyright 1975 Hazeleden Foundation

Tammy’s recovery links

NEW!
My Best Friend, FEAR!
Georgia Hughes


Twisted Thinking Making Sense Out of Nonsense:
Change Happens by Changing Your Perception
by Georgia Hughes


AA Photo Archives

Heard at A Meeting

Breast Cancer Site
Take a minute and click to provide free mammograms

MEN FIGHTING CANCER TOGETHER
America’s largest volunteer men’s cancer support group
and advocacy national nonprofit organization.

Big Book Quotes

The Universe

Prayables
http://prayables.org/



As We See It (AWSI)


Keep It Simple
Hazelden Meditations


Daily Thought

Speaker Recordings

Wisdom of the Room


To comment or to unsubscribe:

Tom Murphy
C 508.221.8896
Skype txmurphy


405 Winchester Creek Rd
Waynesville, NC
28786

PASS IT ON







No comments:

Post a Comment