Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Your Daily Reprieve 01.24.17



Your Daily Reprieve for Tuesday January  24,  2017

From Stuart. FL


"Different people must contend with different trials, but
adversities in some shape or other come to everyone."
--R. C. McCarthy

Life isn’t about avoiding the bruises.
It’s about collecting the scars and being proud that you showed up for life.
~Anonymous

“The difference between try and triumph is a little umph. ”
~Unknown

"The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself."
--Mark Twain


Big Book Quote

"...we were approached by those in whom the problem had been solved, there was nothing left for us but to pick up the simple kit of
spiritual tools laid at our feet."

~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, There Is A Solution, Page 25~





Daily Share!

AA Speaker of the Day

BETTY


Wee Willie’s
Sobriety First Media
AA CD’s Literature and tapes






Celebrate Your Anniversary Here
SHOW NEWCOMERS HOW IT WORKS!!

January 2017 Anniversaries

1/1 Bob V. (Bernardsville, NJ) ..... 33
1/1 Joanie R. (Bedminster, NJ).....15
1/1 Deirdre K. (Baskin Ridge, NJ).....12
1/1 Dorothy D. (Fayetteville, NC).....16
1/1 Joan B.  (Port Charlotte, FL) ..... 28
1/1 Boston Steve K. (Boston/Stuart, FL) ..... 19
1/1 John S. (Naples, FL).....28
1/2 Gregory B. (New York, NY).....5
1/3 Johnyr (Stuart, FL).....39
1/3 Kare B. (Boston, MA).....33
1/5 Tim G. (Dallas, TX).....5
1/6 Ann OK (Stuart, FL/Greenwich, CT).....38
1/6 George R. (Statham, NH) ..... 5
1/6 Mary B. (Key Largo, FL) ..... 11
1/6 Richard F. (Annapolis, MD).....2
1/7 Leo D. (Warren, NJ).....19
1/7 Kate N. (Calgary, Canada).....7
1/8 Alan J. (Roscoe, NY).....9
1/8 Jolly Lou (Tortola, BVI).....4
1/9 Tefft S. (Washington, DC) ..... 32
1/9 Jason M. (Rye, NY).....17
1/10 Kelly P. (Methuen, MA)..... 28
1/10 Sara M. (NYC, NY).....4
1/10 Janice E. (Corpus Christi, TX).....17
1/10 Tim S. (Rownhams, UK).....11
1/11 Dannielle T. New York, NY).....25
1/12 David F. (Invermere, BC).....4
1/12 Shahab N.  (Bethesda, MD).....14
1/13 David S. (Boston, MA).....31
1/13 Debra G. (Culebra, PR).....2
1/13 Robbi H. [G.V.D.] (Pt.Char.FL/VA ).....35
1/13 Tara M. (Larchmont, NY) ..... 4
1/13 Padraic O’R. (Whistler, BC).....4
1/13 Ken R. (Boston, MA).....14
1/14 Dot C. (Acton, MA) ..... 4
1/14 Nick M. (Asheville, NC).....23
1/15 Mike R. (Englewood, NJ/Culebra, PR).....26
1/15 Kate P. (Nantucket, MA).....1
1/15 Steve D. (Bernardsville, NJ).....5
1/16 Jeff W. (Lake City, CO).....12
1/16 Tree A. (San Anselmo, CA).....28
1/17 Scott M. (NYC, NY).....3
1/17 Steve P. (Massachusetts).....1
1/17 Helen C. (Dover, UK).....45
1/19 Rhonda L. (Stuart, FL).....15
1/19 Carol L. (Aspen/NYC).....26
1/20 Jeff L. (Portsmouth, NH).....3
1/20 Elizabeth J. (Longwood, FL).....30
1/20 Deryn K. (Seymour, TN).....24
*Nancy S. (Nantucket, MA).....61*
1/21 Robbie R. (Bernardsville, NJ).....4
1/22 Stacey C. (New York, NY).....10
1/22 Lindsay (Randolph, MA).....2
1/24 Paul B. (Newburyport, MA).....31
1/24 Vito (Saratoga Springs, NY) ..... 25
1/24 Melanie K, (New York City, NY).....6
1/25 Sonja C. (San Diego, CA).....7
1/25 Thomas m. Airdrie, Scotland).....28
1/26 Dana R. (Madison, CT).....2
1/28 Howard G.( Winter Garden, FL).....20
1/28 Lisa G. (Manasquan, NJ).....5
1/28 Bill S. (Horseheads, NY).....28
1/29 Sandra C. (Port St, Lucie, FL).....41
1/30 Sandra W. (Easthampton, NY).....21
1/31 Diane B. (Cape Cod, MA).....24

1016  Total Years of Sobriety




12&12

Step Eleven - "Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out."

Now, what of prayer? Prayer is the raising of the heart and mind to God--and in this sense it includes meditation. How may we go about it? And how does it fit in with meditation? Prayer, as commonly understood, is a petition to God. Having opened our channel as best we can, we try to ask for those right things of which we and others are in the greatest need. And we think that the whole range of our needs is well defined by that part of Step Eleven which says: "...knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out." A request for this fits in any part of our day.

p. 102


Twenty-Four Hours

A.A. Thought For The Day

Alcoholics who are living in a blind alley refuse to be really honest
with themselves or with other people. They're running away from life
and won't face things as they are. They won't give up their
resentments. They're too sensitive and too easily hurt. They refuse
to try to be unselfish. They still want everything for themselves. And
no matter how many disastrous experiences they have had with
drinking, they still do it over and over again. There's only one way to
get out of that blind alley way of living and that's to change your
thinking. Have I changed my thinking?

Meditation For The Day

I know that the vision and power that I receive from God are
limitless, as far as spiritual things are concerned. But in temporal and
material things, I must submit to limitations. I know that I cannot see
the road ahead. I must go just one step at a time, because God does
not grant me a longer view. I am in uncharted waters, limited by my
temporal and spatial life, but unlimited in my spiritual life.

Prayer For The Day

I pray that, in spite of my material limitations, I may follow God's
way. I pray that I may learn that trying to do His will is perfect
freedom.


Daily Thought
​​^*^*^*^*^
(\    ~~    /)
(    \(AA)/    )
(_ /AA\ _)
/ AA \
^*^*^*^*^
Reprieve

It is easy to let up on the spiritual program of action and rest on our laurels. We are headed for trouble if we do, for alcohol is a subtle foe. We are not cured of alcoholism. What we have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition. Every day is a day when we must carry the vision of God's will into all our activities. "How can I best serve Thee -- Thy will (not mine) be done." These are thoughts which must go with us constantly. We can exercise our will power along this line all we wish. It is the proper use of the will.
c. 1976, 2001 AAWS
Alcoholics Anonymous,  p. 85


Thought to Consider . . .

The alcoholic is in no greater peril than when he takes sobriety for granted.
*~*AACRONYMS*~*

S W A T
Surrender, Willingness, Acceptance, Trust.




Daily Reflection

GETTING INVOLVED
There is action and more action. "Faith without works is
dead." . . . To be helpful is our only aim.
ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, pp. 88-89
I understand that service is a vital part of recovery but I
often wonder, "What can I do?" Simply start with what I
have today! I look around to see where there is a need. Are
the ashtrays full? Do I have hands and feet to empty them?
Suddenly I'm involved! The best speaker may make the
worst coffee; the member who's best with newcomers may
be unable to read; the one willing to clean up may make a
mess of the bank account—yet every one of these people
and jobs is essential to an active group. The miracle of
service is this: when I use what I have, I find there is more
available to me than I realized before.



Pot Luck

Inventory

The first time I took an inventory of myself, it was because I had to. I was in a treatment program. A judge had sentenced me there "for as long as it takes." The treatment staff wasn't going to let me out until I sat down and took a look at myself.

"A searching and fearless moral inventory" is what Step Four of Alcoholics Anonymous recommends. I was over- whelmed by the process. All I saw was this big blur of myself. I started writing about one small aspect of myself that I was able to recognize. Within minutes, I saw more. This inventory process took on a life of its own.

What was I aware of about myself that was a problem? What was bugging me most, the thing about myself I least wanted any other human being to know? What was the thing I least wanted to admit to myself? What did I fear and whom did I resent?

We were supposed to also inventory the good qualities about ourselves. I couldn't find any of those.

"You're persistent," the clergy person at treatment said. I hung onto that asset for years. I thought it was my only good quality.

It's an interesting phenomenon - how quick and easy it is to see qualities we like in other people. It's also a snap to see what we don't like in other people, qualities that we think they should change. Taking other people's inventories is a breeze. Taking our own is hard work.

The year was 1982. My husband (at the time) wanted to go to Las Vegas. I wanted him to stay home, but I didn't know how to express how I felt. About the third night he was gone, I felt that anxiety in my gut. I knew he was out of control, drinking again. I had a party planned for the next morning. I was throwing an open house for a neighbor graduating from college. Eighty people were due to show up. My husband was supposed to be home to help.

I didn't clean my house. I didn't prepare the food. I sat calling him in Vegas, dialing a number over and over again for eight straight hours. "What he's doing is crazy," I kept thinking. "What he's doing is wrong and nuts."

About ten o'clock that night, I saw the light. "Eighty people are coming to my home tomorrow, and here I sit, dialing a number that will not be answered? He might be out of control," I thought, "but what I'm doing is crazy."

Sometimes we need to take our own inventory to get out of an uncomfortable stuck place, to look at patterns and see what's going on. Other times, looking at our own behaviors gives us the freedom to finally have and live our lives. Taking our own inventory doesn't have to be a big gruesome job - although sometimes it is. Rather, it can be a way to stop pointing our finger at others and take responsibility for ourselves.

You are reading from the book:









*If you or a sponsee have never experienced the incredible energy and Unity of our Fellowship at a YPAA Conference, now is the time. Booking your hotel room at this amazing
hotel on Lake Winnipesaukee is absolutely FREE! Come join us and “Let your roots grasp new soil”!






Van Devender Middle School                                                         918 31st St, Parkersburg, WV 26104

More Information:
Call Corey C. 304-834-5513 or Brandi B. 304-893-4018


Online registration for the 2017 AA Convention is now open!

Register Here!

http://aaconvention.eventbee.com/event?eid=169348274




“THERE IS A SOLUTION”
3 DAYS OF BIG BOOK EXPERIENCE
June 23rd, 24th, 25th 2017
Presented by:
Worldly Traveled Big Book Technicians
Charlie P. and Katie P. from Austin Texas
A weekend adventure through the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous
you won’t want to miss.
LOCATION: Watson Homestead, 9620 Dry Run Rd. Painted Post N.Y.




Speaker Recordings

Wee Willie’s
Sobriety First Media
AA CD’s Literature and tapes
*****

The Lights are On

AA Speaker Tapes

Recovery Speakers
http://recoveryspeakers.com/


ARCHIVES

Daily Meditations Group Home


Daily Meditations Archive

Blog
http://todaysreprieve.blogspot.com/



Your Daily Reprieve is now on Facebook
It is a PRIVATE GROUP
To be added, email: txm1@comcast.net
Please share your wisdom, anecdotes and travels with other members of Your Daily Reprieve.

Twitter


AA Membership Survey



Meditation Resources


*****

Loving Kindness Meditations

With Music



Voice only

*****
Free Guided Meditations
http://marc.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=22



Resources

Great Minds Quotes

BIG BOOK SEARCH ENGINE:

Twenty Four Hours a Day
Since 1954, Twenty-Four Hours a Day has become a stable force in the recovery of many alcoholics
throughout the world. With over nine million copies in print (the original text has been revised),
this "little black book" offers daily thoughts, meditations, and prayers for living a clean and sober life.
A spiritual resource with practical applications to fit our daily lives.
Copyright 1975 Hazeleden Foundation

Tammy’s recovery links

NEW!
Twisted Thinking Making Sense Out of Nonsense:
Change Happens by Changing Your Perception
by Georgia Hughes


AA Photo Archives

Heard at A Meeting

Breast Cancer Site
Take a minute and click to provide free mammograms
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

MEN FIGHTING CANCER TOGETHER
America’s largest volunteer men’s cancer support group
and advocacy national nonprofit organization.

Big Book Quotes

The Universe

Prayables
http://prayables.org/



As We See It (AWSI)


Keep It Simple
Hazelden Meditations

ePrayer
http://www.eprayer.com/dailyinspiration.htm

Daily Thought

Speaker Recordings

Wisdom of the Room


To comment or to unsubscribe:

Tom Murphy
C 508.221.8896
H 772 219 2346
Skype txmurphy

222 SE Flamingo Ave
Stuart, Florida
34996

PASS IT ON





No comments:

Post a Comment