Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Your Daily Reprieve 05.28.20





Your Daily Reprieve for Thursday May  28, 2020

From Waynesville, NC


"People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are.
I don't believe in circumstances.
The people who get on in this world
are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want,
and, if they can't find them, make them."
~George Bernard Shaw


"Look back and be grateful,
look ahead and be hopeful,
look around and be helpful."
--unknown

The first step identifies the problem.
The second step identifies the solution.
The third step identifies the action.
--unknown

When I came into AA
all I could say was, "I know" and "yeah but..."
Then I got a sponsor who said, "You don't know,
and there are no buts!"
--unknown

“If I remove my hate and anger, what is left is love.
If I remove my anxiety and fear, peace will result.
If I believe in God's promises,
the obstacles that I created between God and myself will be lifted.
When these defects are removed,
then I can start to be an instrument of peace.”
~Grapevine:Chicago, Illinois, February 2009



Big Book Quote

"Lack of power, that was our dilemma. We had to find a power by
which we could live, and it had to be a Power greater than
ourselves. Obviously. But where and how were we to find this Power?

Well, that's exactly what this book is about."

Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, We Agnostics, pg. 45






Daily Share!

AA Speaker of the Day


MARGARET CARLSON
Springfield, MA
@Hilton Head, SC
1986



Wee Willie’s
Sobriety First Media
AA CD’s Literature and tapes






Celebrate Your Anniversary Here
SHOW NEWCOMERS HOW IT WORKS!!
Send your sober date to txm1@comcast.net


YOUR NAME
YOUR LOCATION
YEARS SOBER
6/10 (mo/day)
Bob S
Akron, OH
83

It will look like this :
6/10 Bob S. (Akron, OH).....84

MAY  2020 Miracles

5/1 Stacey E. (Dothan, AL)…..14
5/1 Becky W. ()…..11
5/1 Rhonda B. (Texas)…..19
5/1 Bryan E. (NYC, NY)…..6
5/1 Sybil K. (Wiesbaden, Germany)…..2
5/2 Eddie C. (Southampton, UK)…..20
5/2 Steve W. (Cape Cod)…..5
5/2 Marcia U. (Waynesville, NV)…..24
5/4 Regina M. (New York, NY)…..22
5/4 Melanie R. (NYC, NY)…..7
5/4 Jim L. (Waynesville, NC)…..1
5/4 Patrick R. (Happy Valley, MA)…..9
5/5 Ricky M. (Palm Coast, FL)…..6
5/5 Denny M. (Leesburg, FL)…..38
5/5 Susanna W. (Princeton, IN)…..31
5/5 Melissa C. (Hawaii)…..2
5/6 Chloe B. (Parsippany, NJ)…..20
5/7 Anthony A. (Mamaroneck, NY)…..24
5/7 Leo H. (Wales, UK)…..15
5/7 Echo W. (Lake City, CO)…..3
5/8 Elizabeth H. (Brick, NJ)…..10
5/8 Mark C. (Kodak, TN)…..6
5/8 Rossana G. (East Lansing, MI)…..26
5/8 Mickey B. (Southampton, NY)…..32
5/9 Stuart, O. (Springfield, VA)…..8
5/9 Pete D. (NYC, NY)…..9
5/10 Randy Y. (Chattanooga, TN)…..1
5/10 Steven N. (Northport, FL)…..8
5/10 Rick P. (Seabrook, NH)…..13
5/10 John H. (Miami, FL)…..38
5/10 Jim P. (Carmel, CA)…..9
5/11 Sarah D. (New York City)…..1
5/11 Vaugn T. (Gladstone, NJ)…..16
5/12 Beth N. (Orlando, FL)…..23
5/12 Pat P. (Punta Gorda, FL)…..14
5/13 Gary V. (Portage, IN)…..34
5/13 Linda K. (Deerfield, IL)…..34
5/14 Kathy S. (Atkinson, NH)…..31
5/15 Orry M. (Norwalk, CT)…..1
5/15 Tricia (Rye, NY)…..26
5/15 Bill O. (East Hampton, NY)…..16
5/15 Chris W. (Stuart, Fl./Sao Pedro DaAldeia RJ, Brasil).....31
5/16 Donna K. ()…..1
5/17 Deanna P. (Ellsworth, ME)…..4
5/17 Sanjay C. (Astoria, NY)…..2
5/17 David “Livin’ My Dream” H. (Lewisburg, PA)…..30
5/17 Alan T. (University Park, FL)…..27
5/17 Kimberly K. (Bridgewater, NJ)…..2
5/17 John C. (East Hampton, NY)…..19
5/17 Lisa B/ (Paris, KY/Punt Gorda, FL)…..9
5/18 Jessica H. (Boca Raton, FL)…..2
5/17 Debra O. (Stuart, FL)…..10
5/19 Rachelle S. ()…..27
5/19 Becky T. (Haverstraw, NY)…..13
5/20 Kay W. (Amarillo, TX)…..1
5/20 Capt. Jeff E. (Pensacola, FL)…..8
5/21 Frank S. (NYC)…..2
5/22 Jamie S. (Mamaroneck, NY)…..18
5/23 Leo B. (Cleveland, OH)…..29
5/23 Phyllis C. ()…..27
5/24 Harry K. (Velez, Spain)…..27
5/26 Mark D. (South Berwick, ME)…..17
5/26 Drew P. (Huntersville, NC)…..5
5/26 Jerry S. (NYC, NY)…..38
5/26 Kate W. (Cape Cod)…..5
5/26 Lisa F. (NYC, NY)…..16
5/26 Lee T. (Clinton, CT)…..29
5/26 Monica F. (LA, CA)…..3
5/27 Ryan W. (Nantucket, MA)…..2
5/27 Becki V. (Waynesville, NC)…..8
5/27 Mary Pat (NYC, NY)…..42
5/27 Bobby S. (Whistler, Canada)…..16
5/28 Susan L (Westhampton, NY)…..7
5/28 Phil K. (Port Charlotte, FL)…..45
5/28 Heather M. D. (St Stephen, NB, Canada)…..30
5/29 Harvey P. (Burlington, VT)…..12
5/29 Allen V. (Phoenicia/Astoria. NY)…..12
5/29 Kathleen S. (Bernardsville, NJ)…..19
5/29 B.S. Billy (Portsmouth, RI)…..22
5/29 George B. (Cleveland/Key Largo, FL)…..7
5/30 Bill D. (New York, NY)…..37
5/31 Art D. (Mequon, WI)…..36
5/31 Rhoda M. (East Hampton, NY)…..14
5/31 Irene L. (LaMoine, ME)…..32
5/31 Steve L. ()…..11


1321 Total Years of Sobriety



12&12

Step Eleven - "Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out."

Perhaps one of the greatest rewards of meditation and prayer is the sense of belonging that comes to us. We no longer live in a completely hostile world. We are no longer lost and frightened and purposeless. The moment we catch even a glimpse of God's will, the moment we begin to see truth, justice, and love as the real and eternal things in life, we are no longer deeply disturbed by all the seeming evidence to the contrary that surrounds us in purely human affairs. We know that God lovingly watches over us. We know that when we turn to Him, all will be well with us, here and hereafter.

p. 105

Twenty-Four Hours

A.A. Thought For The Day

In A.A. we learn that since we are alcoholics we can be
uniquely useful people. That is, we can help other alcoholics
when perhaps somebody who has not had our experience with
drinking could not help them. That makes us uniquely useful.
The A.A.s are a unique group of people because they have taken
their own greatest defeat and failure and sickness and used it
as a means of helping others. We who have been through the
same thing are the ones who can best help other alcoholics. Do
I believe that I can be uniquely useful?

Meditation For The Day

I should try to practice the presence of God. I can feel that
He is with me and near me, protecting and strengthening me
always. In spite of every difficulty, every trial, every
failure, the presence of God suffices. Just to believe that
He is near me brings strength and peace. I should try to live
as though God were beside me. I cannot see Him because I was
not made with the ability to see Him else there were no room
for faith. But I can feel His spirit with me.

Prayer For The Day

I pray that I may try to practice the presence of God. I
pray that by doing so I may never feel alone or helpless
again.




Daily Thought
^*^*^*^*^
(\    ~~    /)
(    \(
AA)/     )
(_ /
AA\ _)
/
AA\
^*^*^*^*^

Maturity

"Many oldsters who have put our A.A. 'booze cure' to severe but successful tests still find they often lack emotional sobriety. To attain this, we must develop a real maturity and balance (which is to say humility) in our relations with ourselves, with our fellows, and with God."
Bill W., Box 1980: The AA Grapevine, January 1958
As Bill Sees It, p. 244

Thought to Consider . . .

"We must find a spiritual basis of life - or else."
Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 44

*~*AACRONYMS*~*

F A I T H
Fear Ain't In This House




Daily Reflection

EQUAL RIGHTS
At one time or another most A.A. groups go on rulemaking
benders. . . . After a time fear and intolerance subside, [and
we realize] We do not wish to deny anyone his chance to
recover from alcoholism. We wish to be just as inclusive as
we can, never exclusive.
"A.A. TRADITION: HOW IT DEVELOPED," pp. 10, 11, 12

A.A. offered me complete freedom and accepted me into
the Fellowship for myself. Membership did not depend
upon conformity, financial success or education and I am
so grateful for that. I often ask myself if I extend the same
equality to others or if I deny them the freedom to be
different. Today I try to replace my fear and intolerance
with faith, patience, love and acceptance. I can bring these
strengths to my A.A. group, my home and my office. I
make an effort to bring my positive attitude everywhere
that I go.
I have neither the right, nor the responsibility, to judge
others. Depending on my attitude I can view newcomers to
A.A., family members and friends as menaces or as
teachers. When I think of some of my past judgments, it is
clear how my self-righteousness caused me spiritual harm.



Pot Luck  

The Quantum Leap


          Yesterday I went to a new meeting and the secretary was a fellow I hadn't seen for six months or so.  His lead sounded good. It sounded like he was pulling his life together. He was doing something that I hadn't heard from him before — using program slogans and program phrases —and that to me, indicated he was learning from others. It indicated he had become willing to learn from others. That he was climbing up the ladder of Fellowship success.

               I've seen this happen often over my years in the program: the quantum leap that people make when they get it.  When they start becoming one of us. And the way that they do it is the way the program tells us to do it: they insert the key of willingness, and the door opens to a pathway that works.

          This is the crucial point, the point at which the proud and arrogant stick up their noses and turn away. I  know,  because I was one of those people for my first thirty-two years. I could stick up my nose and turn away faster than a speedball can whiz past a batter.  I could be by you before you ever knew who I was, or where I’d come from, and all you would feel from my passage was the chill of the empty arrogant air.

               Then,  one day, I needed help. One day I could not do it on my own. Again. The first time I needed help, the first time I could not do it on my own, was when I could not control my drinking. So I came to the program and found that help existed. That letting go of my insistence on my own way could bring positive results.

               Then I pretty much forgot all of that, even while I kept coming to meetings. I started taking back control, and knowing everything, and taking other people’s inventories, blaming everybody else, from the pediatrician who delivered me, to the director of the inpatient program that saved me.

          I was miserable. Here I was, free of booze and free of drugs and I was stomping around in my mind like a bratty tennis player protesting a call. The game wasn't going my way. I wasn't winning. Or so it seemed.

               It seemed that way because I was making judgments based on my past experience (you know: that wonderful time, when I just about killed myself with booze and drugs and stupidity). I was not willing to suspend judgments, as the program advised me to do. I was not being willing just  to go along

               No. I was standing on some lofty perch alone, knowing everything, rather than being down on the ground,  among others, learning just a few things, one day at a time, things like humility, gratitude, and trust.

          Pain made me do it. Pain made me hold out my hands again. Pain made me say out loud, “I need help”. I said this to my sponsor and I said this to my home group and they smiled and nodded and told me how they been through the same pain themselves. And how they’d survived. By hanging on and turning it over and being willing to learn and change.

               So I did it and it worked and I’m happy..

               Not all the time. I can still make myself miserable by doing all the dumb things I did when I was first in the program.  And I do, but not so often. I'm learning. I'm changing. I am, finally, completely, with absolutely conviction, utterly unwilling to undo the quantum leap I made when I finally said I cannot do it on my own.


         


Stephen Beal, Editor, Stepping Stones to Recovery for Men


Speaker Recordings

Wee Willie’s
Sobriety First Media
AA CD’s Literature and tapes
*****

The Lights are On


Recovery Speakers
http://recoveryspeakers.com/


COVID-19 LINKS



On Line Meetings Directory


Sybil

Elizabeth

Hugh

China AA Loners




ARCHIVES

*NEW*
GUIDED MEDITATION
http://bit.ly/2Ogwe9v


An On-Line Study Resource

Daily Meditations Group Home


Daily Meditations Archive

Blog
http://todaysreprieve.blogspot.com/



Your Daily Reprieve is now on Facebook
It is a PRIVATE GROUP
To be added, email: sober@yourdailyreprieve.com
Please share your wisdom, anecdotes and travels with other members of Your Daily Reprieve.

Twitter


AA Membership Survey (2014)

2015



Meditation Resources


*****

Loving Kindness Meditations

With Music



Voice only

*****
Free Guided Meditations
http://marc.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=22



Resources

Great Minds Quotes

BIG BOOK SEARCH ENGINE:

Twenty Four Hours a Day
Since 1954, Twenty-Four Hours a Day has become a stable force in the recovery of many alcoholics
throughout the world. With over nine million copies in print (the original text has been revised),
this "little black book" offers daily thoughts, meditations, and prayers for living a clean and sober life.
A spiritual resource with practical applications to fit our daily lives.
Copyright 1975 Hazeleden Foundation

Tammy’s recovery links

NEW!
Twisted Thinking Making Sense Out of Nonsense:
Change Happens by Changing Your Perception
by Georgia Hughes


AA Photo Archives

Heard at A Meeting

Breast Cancer Site
Take a minute and click to provide free mammograms

MEN FIGHTING CANCER TOGETHER
America’s largest volunteer men’s cancer support group
and advocacy national nonprofit organization.

Big Book Quotes

The Universe

Prayables
http://prayables.org/



As We See It (AWSI)


Keep It Simple
Hazelden Meditations


Daily Thought

Speaker Recordings
{Under Reconstruction}

Wisdom of the Room


To comment or to unsubscribe:

Tom Murphy
C 508.221.8896
Skype txmurphy


405 Winchester Creek Rd
Waynesville, NC
28786

PASS IT ON







No comments:

Post a Comment