Saturday, April 4, 2020

Your Daily Reprieve 04.05.20





Your Daily Reprieve for Sunday April  5, 2020

From Waynesville, NC



"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass
but learning to dance in the rain."
~Vivian Greene

"Keep praying,
but be thankful that God's answers
are wiser than your prayers!"
--William Culbertson


“We can never take our plodding progress
as the slightest alibi for setting ourselves
second-rate goals.”
~AA Co-Founder, Bill W., July 1960


It takes courage to live with uncertainty.
To live faithfully knowing that whatever is to be,
will ultimately be for the best.
May God bless you as you go through your difficult times.
Prayables

Overheard:
I can't believe I didn't make it to the gym today.
That's seven years in a row now.

Big Book Quote

"To show other alcoholics precisely how we have recovered is the main
purpose of this book."

~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Foreword To First Edition, pg.
xiii~



Daily Share!

AA Speaker of the Day

CHRIS R.
2003





Wee Willie’s
Sobriety First Media
AA CD’s Literature and tapes






Celebrate Your Anniversary Here
SHOW NEWCOMERS HOW IT WORKS!!
Send your sober date to txm1@comcast.net


YOUR NAME
YOUR LOCATION
YEARS SOBER
6/10 (mo/day)
Bob S
Akron, OH
83

It will look like this :
6/10 Bob S. (Akron, OH).....84

APRIL 2020 Miracles

4/1 Jack D. Hampton, NH)…..51
4/1 Kevin B. (Godshill, UK)…..32
4/1 Cary W. (Palm City, FL)…..13
4/1 Valerie A. (Phoenix, AZ)…..2
4/1 Ron F. (Cincinnati, OH)…..43
4/1 Joyce G. (Haverhill, MA)…..32
4/1 Janie C. (Lynbrook, NY)…..30
4/1 Ray D. (Hot Springs, NC/Exeter, NH)…..34
4/1 Brian N. (Diamondhead, MS)…..7
4/2 Justin L. (Waynesville, NC)…..2
4/2 Julian M. (St. Albans, UK)…..2
4/3 Leigh A. ()…..22
4/4 Tim D. (Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica)…..9
4/4 Bob C. (Akron, OH)…..18
4/5 Mark S. (Southampton, Hants, UK)…..2
4/5 Tim F. (Hobe Sound, FL)…..31
4/6 Eugene R. (Barcelona, Spain)…..6
4/6 Nick E. (East Twickenham, UK)…..21
4/7 Mark V. (Indian Trail NC)…..5
4/7 Thorson R. (Wellington, FL)…..3
4/7 Madeleine M. (Groveland, MA)......37
4/7 Corry P. (New York)…..2
4/7 Walt C. (College Station, TX)…..6
4/8 Paul K. (Akron, OH)…..16
4/8 Maureen K. (New Providence, NJ)…..10
4/9 Travis C. (Eureka, CA)…..1
4/9 Dayton H. (NYC, NY)…..30
4/10 Tony K. (Jacksonville, FL)…..3
4/10 Kevin L. (Cherry Hill, NJ)…..37
4/11 Diane L. (Panama City Beach, FL)…..42
4/11 Diane M. (Waynesville, NC/Jax, FL)…..12
4/11 Jeremy S. (Austin, TX)…..8
4/11 Emily W. (Astoria, NY)…..6
4/11 Jerry W. (Walker, LA)…..47
4/11 Chrissy M. (Succasunna, NJ)…..11
4/12 Kathy McQ. ()…..12
4/12 Lisa S. (Valley Cottage, NY)…..18
4/14 Barbara B. ()…..1
4/14 Sue B. (Waynesville, NC)…..10
4/15 Erin S. (Wayland/Nantucket MA)…..15
4/15 Kelly McG. (Edison, NJ)…..5
4/15 Larry R. (Westchester, NY)…..41
4/16 Angela S. (Dallas, TX)…..1
4/17 Cecily T. (New York, NY)…..11
4/17 Vicky M. (Waynesville, NC)…..39
4/18 Steve Q. (Kauai, HI)…...12
4/18 Brad G. (St. Louis, MO)…..19
4/19 Joanna J. (Port St. Lucie, FL)…..39
4/21 Tom Mc. (Leesburg, FL)…..50
4/21 Elizabeth W. (The Main Line, PA)…..14
4/22 Becky S. (Knoxville, TN)…..10
4/22 Jack C. (Conroe, TX)…..1
4/23 Dorothy V. (Placida, FL)…..16
4/23 Steve W. (Syracuse, NY/Indialantic, FL)…..15
4/24 Larry C. (Davenport, FL)…..30
4/24 Sam F. (New York City)…..2
4/24 Paul C. ()…..44
4/24 Fran D. (Randolph, NJ)…..45
4/25 Mark S. (Port Crane, NY)…..5
4/26 Grainne F. (Dublin/Chaing Mai, Thailand)…..10
4/27 Norma D. (Haverhill, MA).....9
4/27 Julie T. (Morristown, NJ)…..7
4/28 Brian C. (Davenport, FL)…..22
4/28 Bobby S. (South Boston, MA)…..18
4/29 Paul C. ()…..44
4/30 Sandra M. (Airdrie, Scotland)…..31


1226 Total Years of Sobriety



12&12

Step Nine - "Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others."

Most of us begin making certain kinds of direct amends from the day we join Alcoholics Anonymous. The moment we tell our families that we are really going to try the program, the process has begun. In this area there are seldom any questions of timing or caution. We want to come in the door shouting the good news. After coming from our first meeting, or perhaps after we have finished reading the book "Alcoholics Anonymous," we usually want to sit down with some member of the family and readily admit the damage we have done by our drinking. Almost always we want to go further and admit other defects that have made us hard to live with. This will be a very different occasion, and in sharp contrast with those hangover mornings when we alternated between reviling ourselves and blaming the family (and everyone else) for our troubles. At this first sitting, it is necessary only that we make a general admission of our defects. It may be unwise at this stage to rehash certain harrowing episodes. Good judgment will suggest that we ought to take our time. While we may be quite willing to reveal the very worst, we must be sure to remember that we cannot buy our own peace of mind at the expense of others.

pp. 83-84

Twenty-Four Hours

A.A. Thought For The Day

People often ask what makes the A.A. program work. One of the
answers is that A.A. works because it gets people away from
themselves as the center of the universe. And it teaches them to rely
more on the fellowship of others and on strength from God.
Forgetting ourselves in fellowship, prayer,
and working with others is what makes the A.A. program work.
Are these things keeping me sober?

Meditation For The Day

God is the great interpreter of one human personality to another.
Even personalities who are the nearest together have much in their
natures that remains a seated book to each other. And only as God
enters and controls their lives are the mysteries of each revealed to the other.
Each personality is so different. God alone understands
perfectly the language of each and can interpret between the two.
 Here we find the miracles of change and the true interpretation of life.

Prayer For The Day

I pray that I may be in the right relationship to God.
I pray that God will interpret to me the personalities of other people,
so that I can understand them and help them.




Daily Thought
^*^*^*^*^
(\    ~~    /)
(    \(AA)/    )
(_ /AA\ _)
/ AA \
^*^*^*^*^
Release

"Who can render an account of all the miseries that have once been ours, and who can estimate the release and joy that the later years have brought to us? Who could possibly tell the vast consequences of what God's work through A.A. had already set in motion?"
Bill W., Alcoholics Anonymous Comes of Age, pp. 44-5
As Bill Sees It, p. 163


Thought to Consider . . .

"I have been given a quiet place in bright sunshine."
Bill W., Box 1980:  The A.A. Grapevine, Jan. 1958.
The Language of the Heart, p. 238

*~*AACRONYMS*~*

P E A C E
Principles Experienced Activate Change Every day





Daily Reflection

TRUE BROTHERHOOD
We have not once sought to be one in a family, to be a friend
among friends, to be a worker among workers, to be a
useful member of society. Always we tried to struggle to the
top of the heap, or to hide underneath it This self-centered
behavior blocked a partnership relation with any one of
those about us. Of true brotherhood we had small
comprehension.
TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 53

This message contained in Step Four was the first one I
heard loud and clear; I hadn't seen myself in print before!
Prior to my coining into A.A., I knew of no place that could
teach me how to become a person among persons. From my
very first meeting, I saw people doing just that and I wanted
what they had. One of the reasons that I'm a happy, sober
alcoholic today is that I'm learning this most important
lesson.


Pot Luck  


Holding on to the Miracle

This program really does it for me. Even when I am  not happy I go to a meeting and get happy. Not my-team-won-the-Series happy. I come out of a meeting with a quieter happiness. A deeper happiness. The kind of happiness that rests in the conviction that everything is basically okay.

I don’t solve all my problems in a flash. But I do gain a  fresh perspective on my problems. I understand that they can't be solved in an instant. I understand that they will be taken care of in God’s good time. All I have to do is keep doing the next right thing. Not everything all at once. Just next right thing. As it comes.
Once again in this process I am surrendering to a Higher Power. To the care of the Higher Power. To the blessed relief of not trying to run the world on my own.

When I was using I nearly killed myself trying to run the world on my own. First I got myself strung out on booze and drugs. Then I got myself strung out on self-will. Then I got myself strung out on the flock of negative emotions that anyone who tries to get his way twenty four hours a day is bound to experience.
Resentment, rage and fear flew back and forth in my consciousness like crows. Big black squawking crows that perched on strung-out wires of my life crying Big Black Cries like Ruin, cries like Pain, cries like Death!
When I think back on what I went through to get into recovery, I see the equivalent of a spiritual swamp, a moral minefield, a path of self-destruction so deep and so wide and basically doomed that nothing but a miracle could have saved me.

Every day I sank a little lower into the swamp, set off another explosion in the minefield, told myself another pack of lies to gloss over the horrors that kept going on around me. My assets were stretched to the breaking point. My relationships were stretched to the breaking point. Hope for me was so much a matter of self-deceit for me that I could not believe in hope anymore. All that I could believe were the tricks I employed to hide from reality, and the tricks were getting shopworn as my drunks got longer and flatter and more like the despair I was trying to pretend that I didn’t feel.

If I had one more drink, one more shot, one more slip, I would have been gone - gone spiritually, gone mentally,  gone to the physical destruction of cirrhosis, or wet brain or the final explosive crash, me and a car and a concrete wall.

A miracle did save me.

Now, everyday I thank God for taking care of me, for helping me understand that whatever strength I achieve derives from His mercy and His grace.
              

“Holding on to the Miracle” . Stepping Stones to Recovery for Men






Speaker Recordings

Wee Willie’s
Sobriety First Media
AA CD’s Literature and tapes
*****

The Lights are On


Recovery Speakers
http://recoveryspeakers.com/


List of Virtual Meetings & Speaker Archives

On Line Meetings Directory


Sybil

Elizabeth

Hugh

China AA Loners


ARCHIVES

*NEW*
GUIDED MEDITATION
http://bit.ly/2Ogwe9v


An On-Line Study Resource

Daily Meditations Group Home


Daily Meditations Archive

Blog
http://todaysreprieve.blogspot.com/



Your Daily Reprieve is now on Facebook
It is a PRIVATE GROUP
To be added, email: sober@yourdailyreprieve.com
Please share your wisdom, anecdotes and travels with other members of Your Daily Reprieve.

Twitter


AA Membership Survey (2014)

2015



Meditation Resources


*****

Loving Kindness Meditations

With Music



Voice only

*****
Free Guided Meditations
http://marc.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=22



Resources

Great Minds Quotes

BIG BOOK SEARCH ENGINE:

Twenty Four Hours a Day
Since 1954, Twenty-Four Hours a Day has become a stable force in the recovery of many alcoholics
throughout the world. With over nine million copies in print (the original text has been revised),
this "little black book" offers daily thoughts, meditations, and prayers for living a clean and sober life.
A spiritual resource with practical applications to fit our daily lives.
Copyright 1975 Hazeleden Foundation

Tammy’s recovery links

NEW!
Twisted Thinking Making Sense Out of Nonsense:
Change Happens by Changing Your Perception
by Georgia Hughes


AA Photo Archives

Heard at A Meeting

Breast Cancer Site
Take a minute and click to provide free mammograms

MEN FIGHTING CANCER TOGETHER
America’s largest volunteer men’s cancer support group
and advocacy national nonprofit organization.

Big Book Quotes

The Universe

Prayables
http://prayables.org/



As We See It (AWSI)


Keep It Simple
Hazelden Meditations


Daily Thought

Speaker Recordings
{Under Reconstruction}

Wisdom of the Room


To comment or to unsubscribe:

Tom Murphy
C 508.221.8896
Skype txmurphy


405 Winchester Creek Rd
Waynesville, NC
28786

PASS IT ON







No comments:

Post a Comment