Sunday, January 5, 2020

Your Daily Reprieve 01.06.20





Your Daily Reprieve for Monday  January  6, 2020

From Jacksonville, FL


"It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready.
I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything.
There's almost no such thing as ready. There's only now.
And you may as well do it now.
I mean, I say that confidently
as if I'm about to go bungee jumping or something - I'm not.
I'm not a crazed risk taker.
But I do think that generally speaking,
now is as good a time as any."
~Hugh Laurie

"Your vision will become clear only when you look into your heart...
Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens.”
~Carl Jung

is not success, popularity, or power, but self-rejection.
Success, popularity, and power can indeed present a great temptation,
but their seductive quality often comes from the way they are
part of the much larger temptation to self-rejection.
When we have come to believe in the voices that call us worthless and unlovable,
then success, popularity, and power are easily perceived as attractive solutions.
The real trap, however, is self-rejection.
As soon as someone accuses me or criticizes me,
as soon as I am rejected, left alone, or abandoned,
I find myself thinking,
"Well, that proves once again that I am a nobody." ...
[My dark side says,] I am no good... I deserve to be pushed aside,
forgotten, rejected, and abandoned.
Self-rejection is the greatest enemy of the spiritual life
because it contradicts the sacred voice that calls us the "Beloved."
Being the Beloved constitutes the core truth of our existence."
~Henri J.M. Nouwen

enri J.M. Nouwen

Big Book Quote

"We feel that elimination of our drinking is but a beginning. A much
more important demonstration of our principles lies before us in our
respective homes, occupations and affairs."

Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, There Is A Solution, pg. 19





Daily Share!

AA Speaker of the Day

TONI CURRY
Atlanta, GA
1st Central Florida Fall Roundup
Orlando, FL
11.87


Wee Willie’s
Sobriety First Media
AA CD’s Literature and tapes






Celebrate Your Anniversary Here
SHOW NEWCOMERS HOW IT WORKS!!
Send your sober date to txm1@comcast.net


YOUR NAME
YOUR LOCATION
YEARS SOBER
6/10 (mo/day)
Bob S
Akron, OH
83

It will look like this :
6/10 Bob S. (Akron, OH).....84

January 2020 Miracles

1/1 Bob V. (Bernardsville, NJ)…..36
1/1 Severine W. (Sacramento, CA)…..3
1/1 Elena C. (NYC, NY)…..4
1/1 Nancy W. (Port Charlotte, FL)…..32
1/1 Joan B. (Port Charlotte, FL)…..31
1/1 Jessica C. (NYC, NY)…..6
1/1 Deirdre K. (Madison, NJ)…..15
1/1 John C. (Los Alamitos, CA)…..15
1/1 Ray A. (Surrey, BC, Canada)…..2
1/2 Joe B. (Jacksonville, FL)…..6
1/2 Robbie H. (White Rock, BC)…..7
1/2 Brian C. (Port Washington, NY)…..4
1/2 Mercedes G. (Tampa. FL)…..1
1/2 Joe D. (NYC,NY)…..1
1/2 Gregory B. (New York, NY)…..8
1/3 Billy M. (Louisville, KY)…..41
1/3 Johnyr (Stuart, FL)…..42
1/4 Nicola H. (Hertfordshire, UK)…..1
1/4 Kevin J. (RI)…..29
1/5 Donna M. (Port St Lucie, FL)…..46
1/5 Paola V. (London, UK)….14
1/5 Gwen F. (Key West, FL)…..12
1/5 Tim G. (Dallas, TX)…..8
1/6 Mike S. (Jacksonville, FL)…..14
1/6 Mary B. (Key Largo, FL)…..14
1/6 David M. (Las Vegas, NV)…..24
1/6 Ann OK-B (Stuart FL/Greenwich, CT)…..41
1/6 George R. (Stratham, NH)…..8
1/6 Karen F. (Clinton, NJ)…..2
1/7 Alexis E. (East Twickenham, UK)…..18
1/7 Ray W. (Long Island)…..8
1/7 Leo D. (Warren, NJ)…..22
1/7 Luke T. (Nantucket, MA)…..1
1/8 Alan J. (Stone Ridge, NY)…..12
1/8 Lou S. Sarasota, FL)…..7
1/9 Tefft W. (Washington, DC)…..35
1/9 Jason M. (Rye, NY)…..20
1/10 Paula B. (Charleston, SC)…..37
1/10 Janice E. (Corpus Christi, TX)…..20
1/12 Padraic O. (Whistler, BC, Canada)…..7
1/12 David F. (Windermere, BC, CA)…..7
1/12 Shabab N. (Bethesda, MD)…..17
1/13 Tara M. (Larchmont, NY)…..7
1/13 Robbie H. (FL/VA)…..38
1/13 Ken R. (Norfolk, MA)…..17
1/13 John E. (Reading, UK)….5
1/13 Rick H. (Vero Beach, FL)…..2
1/14 Maria H. (New York, NY)…..26
1/14 Dot C. (Acton, MA)…..7
1/14 Nick M. (Asheville, NC/Denver.CO)…..26
1/15 Bob W. (Punta Gorda, FL)…..37
1/15 Sue J. (Palm Coast, FL)…..10
1/15 Mike R. (Englewood, NJ)…..29
1/16 Jeff W. (Lake City, CO)…..15
1/17 Helen C. (Folkestone, UK)…..48
1/17 Scott M. (New York, NY)…..6
1/19 Rob W. (St Mary’s . GA) …..3
1/19 Rhonda L. (Stuart, FL)…..18
1/19 Carol L. (Aspen, CO)…..29
1/21 Levi S. (London, UK)…..5
1/21 Shane S. (Methuen, MA)…..1
1/21 Heather N. (Wylie,TX)…..23
1/21 Brian Mc. (Mahwah, NJ)…..36
1/22 Stacey C. (Austin, TX)…..13
1/22 Keith B. (Stuart, FL)…..22
1/23 Mike C. (Solon, OH)…..5
1/24 Vito (Saratoga Springs, NY)…..
1/25 PJ C. (Bel Air, 28MD)…..5
1/25 Steve L. (Palm Coast, FL)…..2
1/26 Dana R. (Madison, CT)…..5
1/28 Karen Ann B. (Stuart, FL)…..1
1/29 Sandra C. (Port St Lucie, FL)…..44
1/30 Keith C. (Denham Springs, LA)…..11
1/31 Bob P. (Jacksonville, NC)…..36

1130  Total Years of Sobriety

12&12

Step Four - "Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves."

To avoid falling into confusion over the names these defects should be called, let's take a universally recognized list of major human failings--the Seven Deadly Sins of pride, greed, lust, anger, gluttony, envy, and sloth. It is not by accident that pride heads the procession. For pride, leading to self-justification, and always spurred by conscious or unconscious fears, is the basic breeder of most human difficulties, the chief block to true progress. Pride lures us into making demands upon ourselves or upon others which cannot be met without perverting or misusing our God-given instincts. When the satisfaction of our instincts for sex, security, and society becomes the sole object of our lives,
then pride steps in to justify our excesses.

pp. 48-49

Twenty-Four Hours

A.A. Thought For The Day

Keeping sober is the most important thing in my life.
The most important decision I ever made was my decision
to give up drinking. I am convinced that my whole life
depends on not taking that first drink. Nothing in the
world is as important to me as my own sobriety. Everything
I have, my whole life depends on that one thing. Can I afford
ever to forget this, even for one minute?

Meditation For The Day

I will discipline myself. I will do this disciplining now.
I will turn out all useless thoughts. I know that the
goodness of my life is a necessary foundation for its
usefulness. I will welcome this training, for without it
God cannot give me his power. I believe that this power
is a mighty power when used in the right way.

Prayer For The Day

I pray that I may face and accept whatever discipline is
necessary. I pray that I may be fit to receive God's power
in my life.


Daily Thought
ThoughtFor The Day
^*^*^*^*^
(\  ~~  /)
(    \(AA)/    )
( /AA\ )
/AA\
   ^*^*^*^*^
Alternatives

If you are as seriously alcoholic as we were, we believe there is no middle-of-the-road solution. We were in a position where life was becoming impossible, and if we had passed into the region from which there is no return through human aid, we had but two alternatives. One was to go on to the bitter end, blotting out the consciousness of our intolerable situation as best we could, and the other, to accept spiritual help. This we did because we honestly wanted to, and were willing to make the effort.
c. 1976 2001 AAWS
Alcoholics Anonymous, pp. 25-26


Thought to Consider . . .

I
f you always do what you've always done, you will always be where you've always been.

*~*AACRONYMS*~*
A B C
Acceptance, Belief, Change.




Daily Reflection

THE VICTORY OF SURRENDER
We perceive that only through utter defeat are we able to
take our first steps toward liberation and strength. Our
admissions of personal powerlessness finally turn out to be
firm bedrock upon which happy and purposeful lives may
be built
TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 21

When alcohol influenced every facet of my life, when
bottles became the symbol of all my self-indulgence and
permissiveness, when I came to realize that, by myself, I
could do nothing to overcome the power of alcohol, I
realized I had no recourse except surrender. In surrender I
found victory—victory over my selfish self-indulgence,
victory over my stubborn resistance to life as it was given
to me. When I stopped fighting anybody or anything, I
started on the path to sobriety, serenity and peace.



Pot Luck   

How About Okay?

               The more I drank the more I disliked myself. The more I disliked myself the more I drank. In order to justify this self-defeating, self-hating behavior,  I told myself that most people weren’t any different. If they didn't drink they drugged, and if they didn't drug they overate and If they didn't overeat, they fooled around, and if they didn't fool around they were probably dead. Right?

               Wrong!

               There are lots of people in this world who are comfortable with themselves. Who have learned to take care of themselves and the other people in their lives. Who have learned to live on reasonable terms. Sure, these people have their faults. There are things in their lives they'd like to change. They’d like to have more money, or more time, or more more hair.  But they don't beat themselves up about these things. They don’t compensate themselves to the point of stupor, or terror, or death. Because they haven’t got those things. They don't say to themselves, you are just as bad as the devil, but because I have the abilities of a god, I will make you feel just as powerful as me - until you come to in the morning, when you will feel just as rotten as you have every right to expect, you nasty devil, you.

               Up and down, and up and down, and up and down, the trials of duality go on. Good/bad, right/wrong, high/low, in/out, here/there. yes/no.

               Hey! How about okay?

               Instead of feeling like Zeus on Mount Olympus or the lowliest a scum of the earth, how about feeling like a regular guy? A doer, and a schlepper a guy who gets things done then relaxes and has a good time and goes to bed and gets up to get some more things done after which he relaxes and has some more fun. He does this without subjecting his behavior to the scrutiny of the inquisition. He doesn't contact Ann Landers or Dr. Ruth, or the Supreme Court to get a judgment on his every act or thought. He gets to the point of knowing what makes him feel useful and happy and worthwhile  and he tries to stay with the behavior that produces those effects,

               Sometimes such a guy is a guy on the program depends on well he’s working his program. Depends if he's willing to settle for okay.
              

“How About Okay?” . Stepping Stones to Recovery for Men














Speaker Recordings

Wee Willie’s
Sobriety First Media
AA CD’s Literature and tapes
*****

The Lights are On


Recovery Speakers
http://recoveryspeakers.com/


ARCHIVES

*NEW*
GUIDED MEDITATION
http://bit.ly/2Ogwe9v


An On-Line Study Resource

Daily Meditations Group Home


Daily Meditations Archive

Blog
http://todaysreprieve.blogspot.com/



Your Daily Reprieve is now on Facebook
It is a PRIVATE GROUP
To be added, email: sober@yourdailyreprieve.com
Please share your wisdom, anecdotes and travels with other members of Your Daily Reprieve.

Twitter


AA Membership Survey (2014)

2015



Meditation Resources


*****

Loving Kindness Meditations

With Music



Voice only

*****
Free Guided Meditations
http://marc.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=22



Resources

Great Minds Quotes

BIG BOOK SEARCH ENGINE:

Twenty Four Hours a Day
Since 1954, Twenty-Four Hours a Day has become a stable force in the recovery of many alcoholics
throughout the world. With over nine million copies in print (the original text has been revised),
this "little black book" offers daily thoughts, meditations, and prayers for living a clean and sober life.
A spiritual resource with practical applications to fit our daily lives.
Copyright 1975 Hazeleden Foundation

Tammy’s recovery links

NEW!
Twisted Thinking Making Sense Out of Nonsense:
Change Happens by Changing Your Perception
by Georgia Hughes


AA Photo Archives

Heard at A Meeting

Breast Cancer Site
Take a minute and click to provide free mammograms

MEN FIGHTING CANCER TOGETHER
America’s largest volunteer men’s cancer support group
and advocacy national nonprofit organization.

Big Book Quotes

The Universe

Prayables
http://prayables.org/



As We See It (AWSI)


Keep It Simple
Hazelden Meditations


Daily Thought

Speaker Recordings
{Under Reconstruction}

Wisdom of the Room


To comment or to unsubscribe:

Tom Murphy
C 508.221.8896
Skype txmurphy


405 Winchester Creek Rd
Waynesville, NC
28786

PASS IT ON







No comments:

Post a Comment