Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Your Daily Reprieve 10.30.19




Your Daily Reprieve for Wednesday  October 30, 2019

From Waynesville, NC


"Almost everything will work again
if you unplug it for a few minutes,
including you!"
~Anne Lamott

Who you THINK you are will ALWAYS be frightened of change,
but it doesn't make any difference to who you TRULY are.
~Ram Dass


"You have always had the Power" 
~Glinda the Good Witch

“I am more a woman of action than a woman in reaction,
 and hope is more present in my life than insecurity ...
As much as I was thirsty for alcohol,
today I am thirsty for knowledge.”
~Grapevine: Montreal, Quebec, July 1986


Big Book Quote

"Alcoholics who have derided religious people will be helped by such
contacts. Being possessed of a spiritual experience, the alcoholic
will find he has much in common with these people, though he may
differ with them on many matters. If he does not argue about
religion, he will make new friends and is sure to find new avenues of
usefulness and pleasure. He and his family can be a bright spot in
such congregations. He may bring new hope and new courage to many a
priest, minister, or rabbi, who gives his all to minister to our
troubled world. We intend the foregoing as a helpful suggestion
only. So far as we are concerned, there is nothing obligatory about
it. As non-denominational people, we cannot make up others' minds
for them. Each individual should consult his own conscience."

~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, The Family Afterward, pg. 131~




Daily Share!

AA Speaker of the Day

ED MUTUM
Davenport, IA
@ Florida State Convention
2005


Wee Willie’s
Sobriety First Media
AA CD’s Literature and tapes






Celebrate Your Anniversary Here
SHOW NEWCOMERS HOW IT WORKS!!
Send your sober date to txm1@comcast.net


YOUR NAME
YOUR LOCATION
YEARS SOBER
6/10 (mo/day)
Bob S
Akron, OH
83

It will look like this :
6/10 Bob S. (Akron, OH).....84

October 2019 Miracles

10/1 Jigar D. (Mumbai, India)…..1
10/1 Mary H. (Andover, MA)…..31
10/1 Michael B. (Fort Salonga, NY)…..14
10/1 Michael A. (Shelter Island, NY)…..9
10/1  Henry S. (Port Charlotte, FL)…..37
10/2 Armand the Chicken Man (Smithfield, RI)…..61
10/2 Dave R. (Bedminster, NJ)…..8
10/3 Chris H. (Punta Gorda, FL)…..29
10/3 Charlie E. (Chicago, IL)…..7
10/4 Mary R. (Averill Park, NY)…..22
10/4 Bev V. (Exeter, NH)…..27
10/6 Georgia H. (Kittery, ME)…..23
10/6 Anne M. (East Hampton, NY)…..15
10/6 Dick H. (Milford, MA)…..28
10/6 Russ W. (Milford, CT)…..6
10/6 Annette L. (Dothan, AL)…..27
10/6 Nancy G. (Port Orchard, WA)…..14
10/7 Donna C. (Punta Gorda, FL)…..44
10/7 Liz S. (Hoboken, NJ)…..8
10/8 Linda G. (Lake Placid, NY)…..41
10/8 Meredith R. (Brunswick, GA)…..7
10/9 Marcel B. (Memramcook, NB, Canada)…..8
10/9 Xavier F. (Greenwich, CT)…..6
10/9 Glen O. (Montague, MA)…..28
10/10 Sharon B. (Clermont, FL)…..2
10/11 Cigar Bob (Hampton Beach, NH/Cocoa Beach, FL)…..22
10/11 Ray H. (Hermitage, TN)…..9
10/11 Harriett B. (Hobe Sound, FL)…..31
10/12 Chris M. (Clark, NJ)…..32
10/12 Michael C. (Cordes Lakes, AZ)…..30
10/13 Angie T. (Dorset, UK)…..15
10/13 Don C. (Evanston, IL)…..48
10/13 Robert L. (Denver, NC)…..18
10/13 Deb B. (Jacksonville, FL)…..24
10/14 Carol H. (Glen Cove, NY)…..34
10/14 Scott S. (Brookfield, WI)…..8
10/15 Marianne M. (Hampton, NH)…..23
10/15 CJ D. (Waynesville, NC)…..41
10/17 Jim T. (Palm Coast, FL)…..10
10/17 Michele F. (Moultrie, GA)…..14
10/18 Lisa H. (Monaco & La Quinta, CA)…..10
10/19 Ray S. (Covington, LA)…..31
10/19 Don T. (National City, MI)…..19
10/20 Caroline J. (Stuart, FL)…..2
10/21 Sue T. (Flanders, NJ)…..6
10/22 Betsy H.  (Corpus Christi, TX)…..9
10/22 Doug S. (Brookfield, CT)…..29
10/23 Britton W. (Raleigh, NC)…..2
10/23 James D. (NYC, NY)…..42
10/23 Bill B. (Stratham, NH)….31
10/25 Robyn M. (Delray Beach, FL)…..30
10/25 David C. (Syracuse, NY)…..13
10/25 Keely S. (Azalea, OR)…..37
10/25 Mimi G. (NY,NY)…..10
10/25 Brittney B. (San Diego, CA)…..10
10/25 Charlie P. (Iceland)…..32
10/26 Niall H. (Dublin, Ireland)…..27
10/26 Bryce H. (NYC)…..1
10/26 Sean C. (Mamaroneck, NY)…..10
10/28 Kelly G. (Morristown, NJ)…..2
10/28 Craig B. (Memphis, TN)…..8
10/28 Diane J. (Portland, OR)…..28
10/29 LauraLea K. (Leesburg, FL)…..8
10/30 Bob H. (Barnardsville, NC)…..31
10/30 Estelle R. (New York, NY)…..43
10/31 Clint H. (Pittsburgh, PA)…..21

1350 Total Years of Sobriety


12&12

Foreword

Nevertheless, the infant Society determined to set down its experience in a book which finally reached the public in April 1939. At this time the recoveries numbered about one hundred. The book was called "Alcoholics Anonymous," and from it the Fellowship took its name. In it alcoholism was described from the alcoholic's point of view, the spiritual ideas of the Society were codified for the first time in the Twelve Steps, and the application of these Steps to the alcoholic's dilemma was made clear. The remainder of the book was devoted to thirty stories or case histories in which the alcoholics described their drinking experiences and recoveries. This established identification with alcoholic readers and proved to them that the virtually impossible had now become possible. The book "Alcoholics Anonymous" became the basic text of the Fellowship, and it still is. This present volume proposes to broaden and deepen the understanding of the Twelve Steps as first was written in the earlier work.

p. 17

Twenty-Four Hours

A.A. Thought For The Day

I have real friends, where I had none before.
My drinking companions could hardly be called my real friends,
though when drunk we seemed to have the closest kind of
friendship. My idea of friendship has changed.
Friends are no longer people whom I can
use for my own pleasure or profit.
Friends are now people who understand me and I them,
whom I can help and who can help me to live a better life.
I have learned not to hold back and wait for friends to come to me,
but to go half way and to be met half way, openly and
freely. Does friendship have new meaning for me?

Meditation For The Day

There is a time for everything. We should learn to wait patiently until the right time
comes. Easy does it. We waste our energies in trying to get things before we are ready to have them, before we have earned the right to receive them.
A great lesson we have to learn is how to wait with patience.
We can believe that all our life is a preparation for
something better to come when we have earned the right to it.
We can believe that God has a plan for our lives
 and that this plan will work out in the fullness of time.

Prayer For The Day

I pray that I may learn the lesson of waiting patiently.
I pray that I may not expect things
until I have earned the right to have them.


Daily Thought
^*^*^*^*^
(\    ~~    /)
(     \(
AA)/     )
(_ /
AA\ _)
/
AA\
^*^*^*^*^

Helpfulness

"Your job now is to be at the place where you may be of maximum helpfulness to others, so never hesitate to go anywhere if you can be helpful. You should not hesitate to visit the most sordid spot on earth on such an errand. Keep on the firing line of life with these motives and God will keep you unharmed."
Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 102

Thought to Consider . . .

W
e in A.A. don't carry the alcoholic; we carry the message.

*~*AACRONYMS*~*

A. A.
Attitude Adjustment




Daily Reflection

LIVE AND LET LIVE
Never since it began has Alcoholics Anonymous been
divided by a major controversial issue. Nor has our
Fellowship ever publicly taken sides on any question in an
embattled world. This, however, has been no earned virtue.
It could almost be said that we were born with it. . . . "So
long as we don't argue these matters privately, it's a cinch
we never shall publicly."
TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 176

Do I remember that I have a right to my opinion but that
others don't have to share it? That's the spirit of "Live and
Let Live." The Serenity Prayer reminds me, with God's
help, to "Accept the things I cannot change." Am I still
trying to change others? When it comes to "Courage to
change the things I can," do I remember that my opinions
are mine, and yours are yours? Am I still afraid to be me?
When it comes to "Wisdom to know the difference," do I
remember that my opinions come from my experience? If I
have a know-it-all attitude, aren't I being deliberately
controversial?



Pot Luck

"When all the little things really bug me, it’s because there’s a big thing I’m not facing."

Irritable, restless, and discontent—that is my normal state as an alcoholic. Going to meetings, working the Steps, and praying and relying on my Higher Power are the ways I get restored to sanity. By doing so, I actually achieve some peace and serenity. But even when I am in a calm space, if little things still bother me, I now know to look beyond my alcoholism.

It’s amazing how my first instinct these days, even with considerable time in the program, is to deny or ignore things that are uncomfortable in my life. It’s been my experience that not facing what at first appears to be no big deal often turns it into one and quickly makes my life unmanageable. And the first warning I’ve done this is when all the little things (stuck in traffic, misplacing my keys, a line at the market) start to really bother me.

Today, I’ve learned to acknowledge these things and recognize them for what they are: indications that there is something bigger that I’m not facing. As soon as I take the time to look at what’s really going on, I immediately begin to feel better. And once I begin to apply the tools I’ve been given in this program to deal with whatever is going on, I find that it really isn’t such a big deal after all. Today, I use the little things to help me become aware of and to deal with the big things.











Speaker Recordings

Wee Willie’s
Sobriety First Media
AA CD’s Literature and tapes
*****

The Lights are On


Recovery Speakers
http://recoveryspeakers.com/


ARCHIVES

*NEW*
An On-Line Study Resource

Daily Meditations Group Home


Daily Meditations Archive

Blog
http://todaysreprieve.blogspot.com/



Your Daily Reprieve is now on Facebook
It is a PRIVATE GROUP
To be added, email: sober@yourdailyreprieve.com
Please share your wisdom, anecdotes and travels with other members of Your Daily Reprieve.

Twitter


AA Membership Survey (2014)

2015



Meditation Resources


*****

Loving Kindness Meditations

With Music



Voice only

*****
Free Guided Meditations
http://marc.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=22



Resources

Great Minds Quotes

BIG BOOK SEARCH ENGINE:

Twenty Four Hours a Day
Since 1954, Twenty-Four Hours a Day has become a stable force in the recovery of many alcoholics
throughout the world. With over nine million copies in print (the original text has been revised),
this "little black book" offers daily thoughts, meditations, and prayers for living a clean and sober life.
A spiritual resource with practical applications to fit our daily lives.
Copyright 1975 Hazeleden Foundation

Tammy’s recovery links

NEW!
Twisted Thinking Making Sense Out of Nonsense:
Change Happens by Changing Your Perception
by Georgia Hughes


AA Photo Archives

Heard at A Meeting

Breast Cancer Site
Take a minute and click to provide free mammograms

MEN FIGHTING CANCER TOGETHER
America’s largest volunteer men’s cancer support group
and advocacy national nonprofit organization.

Big Book Quotes

The Universe

Prayables
http://prayables.org/



As We See It (AWSI)


Keep It Simple
Hazelden Meditations


Daily Thought

Speaker Recordings
{Under Reconstruction}

Wisdom of the Room


To comment or to unsubscribe:

Tom Murphy
C 508.221.8896
Skype txmurphy


405 Winchester Creek Rd
Waynesville, NC
28786

PASS IT ON







No comments:

Post a Comment