Sunday, October 6, 2019

Your Daily Reprieve 10.07.19




Your Daily Reprieve for Monday October 7, 2019

From Waynesville, NC


As long as a man stands in his own way,
everything seems to be in his way.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

The paradox of control is simple.
The more we try to control life,
The less control we have.
--Joan Borysenko, Ph.D.

"Forgiveness is the economy of the heart...
Forgiveness saves the  expense of anger,
the cost of hatred, the waste of spirits."
--Hannah More

"A man should first direct himself in the way he should go.
Only then should he instruct others."
~The Buddha

Big Book Quote

"If a mere code of morals or a better philosophy of life were
sufficient to overcome alcoholism, many of us would have recovered
long ago. But we found that such codes and philosophies did not save
us, no matter how much we tried. We could wish to be moral, we could
wish to be philosophically comforted, in fact, we could will these
things with all our might, but the needed power wasnt there. Our
human resources, as marshalled by the will, were not sufficient, they
failed utterly."

~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, We Agnostics, pg. 44~





Daily Share!

AA Speaker of the Day

RUSTY M.
Second Tradition Group
San Jose, CA
03.04.2006


Wee Willie’s
Sobriety First Media
AA CD’s Literature and tapes






Celebrate Your Anniversary Here
SHOW NEWCOMERS HOW IT WORKS!!
Send your sober date to txm1@comcast.net


YOUR NAME
YOUR LOCATION
YEARS SOBER
6/10 (mo/day)
Bob S
Akron, OH
83

It will look like this :
6/10 Bob S. (Akron, OH).....84

October 2019 Miracles

10/1 Jigar D. (Mumbai, India)…..1
10/1 Mary H. (Andover, MA)…..31
10/1 Michael B. (Fort Salonga, NY)…..14
10/1 Michael A. (Shelter Island, NY)…..9
10/2 Armand the Chicken Man (Smithfield, RI)…..61
10/2 Dave R. (Bedminster, NJ)…..8
10/3 Chris H. (Punta Gorda, FL)…..29
10/3 Charlie E. (Chicago, IL)…..7
10/4 Mary R. (Averill Park, NY)…..22
10/4 Bev V. (Exeter, NH)…..27
10/6 Georgia H. (Kittery, ME)…..23
10/6 Anne M. (East Hampton, NY)…..15
10/6 Dick H. (Milford, MA)…..28
10/6 Russ W. (Milford, CT)…..6
10/6 Annette L. (Dothan, AL)…..27
10/6 Nancy G. (Port Orchard, WA)…..14
10/7 Donna C. (Punta Gorda, FL)…..44
10/8 Linda G. (lake Placid, NY)…..41
10/8 Meredith R. (Brunswick, GA)…..7
10/9 Marcel B. (Memramcook, NB, Canada)…..8
10/9 Xavier F. (Greenwich, CT)…..6
10/11 Cigar Bob (Hampton Beach, NH/Cocoa Beach, FL)…..22
10/11 Ray H. (Hermitage, TN)…..9
10/12 Chris M. (Clark, NJ)…..32
10/13 Angie T. (Dorset, UK)…..15
10/13 Don C. (Evanston, IL)…..48
10/13 Robert L. (Denver, NC)…..18
10/14 Carol H. (Glen Cove, NY)…..34
10/14 Scott S. (Brookfield, WI)…..7
10/15 Marianne M. (Hampton, NH)…..23
10/17 Michele F. (Moultrie, GA)…..14
10/19 Ray S. (Covington, LA)…..31
10/19 Don T. (National City, MI)…..19
10/20 Caroline J. (Stuart, FL)…..2
10/21 Sue T. (Flanders, NJ)…..6
10/22Betsy H.  (Corpus Christi, TX)…..9
10/23 Britton W. (Raleigh, NC)…..2
10/23 James D. (NYC, NY)…..42
10/25 Robyn M. (Delray Beach, FL)…..30
10/25 David C. (Syracuse, NY)…..13
10/25 Mimi G. (NY,NY)…..10
10/25 Brittney B. (San Diego, CA)…..10
10/26 Bryce H. (NYC)…..1
10/28 Kelly G. (Morristown, NJ)…..2
10/28 Craig B. (Memphis, TN)…..8
10/28 Diane J. (Portland, OR)…..28
10/29 LauraLea K. (Leesburg, FL)…..8
10/30 Bob H. (Barnardsville, NC)…..31

0902 Total Years of Sobriety


12&12

Tradition Eleven - "Our public relations policy is based on attraction rather than promotion; we need always maintain personal anonymity at the level of press, radio, and films."

The Foundation* wrote letters to practically every news outlet in North America, setting forth our public relations policy of attraction rather than promotion, and emphasizing personal anonymity as A.A.'s greatest protection. Since that time, editors and rewrite men have repeatedly deleted names and pictures of members from A.A. copy; frequently, they have reminded ambitious individuals of A.A.'s anonymity policy. They have even sacrificed good stories to this end. The force of their cooperation has certainly helped. Only a few A.A. members are left who deliberately break anonymity at the public level.

*In 1954, the name of the Alcoholic Foundation, Inc., was changed to the General Service Board of Alcoholics Anonymous, Inc., and the Foundation office is now the General Service Office.

pp. 182-183


Twenty-Four Hours


A.A. Thought For The Day

Do I put too much reliance on any one member of the group?
That is, do I make a tin god out of some one person? Do I
set that person on a pedestal? If I do, I am building my
house on sand. A.A. members have "clay feet." They are all
only one drink away from a drunk, no matter how long they
have been in A.A. This has been proved to be true more than
once. It's not fair to any member to be singled out as a
leader in A A. and to always quote that member on the A.A.
program. If that person should fail, where would I be?

Meditation For The Day

You must always remember that you are weak but that God is
strong. God knows all about your weakness. He hears every
cry for mercy, every sign of weakness, every plea for help,
every sorrow over failure, every weakness felt and expressed.
We only fail when we trust too much to our own strength. Do
not feel bad about your weakness. When you are weak, that is
when God is strong to help you. Trust God enough, and your
weakness will not matter. God is always strong to save.

Prayer For The Day

I pray that I may learn to lean on God's strength.
I pray that I may know that my weakness is God's opportunity


Daily Thought
^*^*^*^*^
(\    ~~    /)
(    \(
AA)/    )
( /
AA\ )
/
AA\
^*^*^*^*^
Working With Others

"Life will take on new meaning. To watch people recover, to see them help others, to watch loneliness vanish, to see a fellowship grow up about you, to have a host of friends - this is an experience you must not miss. We know you will not want to miss it."
c. 1976 AAWS, Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 89

Thought to Consider . . .

W
e are not our thoughts, emotions, or urges.

*~*AACRONYMS*~*

S L I P
Sobriety Loses Its Priority


Daily Reflection

DAILY MONITORING
Continued to take
personal inventory. . . .
TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 88

The spiritual axiom referred to in the Tenth Step— "every
time we are disturbed, no matter what the cause, there is
something wrong with us"—also tells me that there are no
exceptions to it. No matter how unreasonable others may
seem, I am responsible for not reacting negatively.
Regardless of what is happening around me I will always
have the prerogative, and the responsibility, of choosing
what happens within me. I am the creator of my own
reality.
When I take my daily inventory, I know that I must stop
judging others. If I judge others, I am probably judging
myself. Whoever is upsetting me most is my best teacher. I
have much to learn from him or her, and in my heart, I
should thank that person.




Pot Luck


If It Ain't Broke Don’t Fix it     

          I've just been out in the garden, lifting up squash leaves and looking for zucchini. It’s the first week of August and I've had only one zucchini all summer. The plants produce lots of flowers, and lots of little baby zucchinis, but they always turn yellow and wither before they mature.

               I bought these seeds from a new place. I didn't need to, because the seeds from the old place worked fine. I had zucchini all summer long . But last winter I was seduced by some trendy marketing, the implication that If I planted seeds from this new company I would have a better reputation among people who are accustomed to dining in Europe.

               Huh? I'm a hungry recovering drunk who wants some zucchini in America. I want to cut it up in salads, and cut it up in yogurt. I want to cook it with onions and garlic. I want to stir-fry it with other veggies.  But I don't have it. Because I decided to fix it. Because I decided to make my zucchini perfect.

               This has been the story of my life — going one or more steps beyond what is necessary, or even desirable, in order to polish, augment, put my mark on something that was okay just the way it was.  Something that works fine — until I came along to make it Extra Special.  And in the process turned it away from its vital roots.

               I've done this with friendship — not saying, Oh, what the hell, and going along with the gang.

               I've done this with love — waiting and waiting and waiting for conditions to be absolutely right before I made my first move, by which time I lost the opportunity for doing anything but constructing a monument to my Intention to Move.

               The problem here is essentially one of playing God. Making predetermined plans and conceiving predetermined notions and living my life in dreams of perfection instead of in reality.

               What I've got out of there in the garden now is like the fantasies I make up for myself. The zucchini plants look great.  They look healthy and happy and bursting with fruit. But when you look up the leaves all you see is wizzly little yellow stumps drooping in the dirt.

               My plans for perfection can lead to great appearances. But without the vital input of others they do not yield reality. All they yield is disappointment. A hollow shell devoid of content.

               Oh, Lord, help me to let the light in. Help me to let life work just the way it is. Tell me not to fix things. Help me just to let them be.



Stephen Beal, Editor, Stepping Stones to Recovery for Men c1992









Speaker Recordings

Wee Willie’s
Sobriety First Media
AA CD’s Literature and tapes
*****

The Lights are On


Recovery Speakers
http://recoveryspeakers.com/


ARCHIVES

*NEW*
An On-Line Study Resource

Daily Meditations Group Home


Daily Meditations Archive

Blog
http://todaysreprieve.blogspot.com/



Your Daily Reprieve is now on Facebook
It is a PRIVATE GROUP
To be added, email: sober@yourdailyreprieve.com
Please share your wisdom, anecdotes and travels with other members of Your Daily Reprieve.

Twitter


AA Membership Survey (2014)

2015



Meditation Resources


*****

Loving Kindness Meditations

With Music



Voice only

*****
Free Guided Meditations
http://marc.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=22



Resources

Great Minds Quotes

BIG BOOK SEARCH ENGINE:

Twenty Four Hours a Day
Since 1954, Twenty-Four Hours a Day has become a stable force in the recovery of many alcoholics
throughout the world. With over nine million copies in print (the original text has been revised),
this "little black book" offers daily thoughts, meditations, and prayers for living a clean and sober life.
A spiritual resource with practical applications to fit our daily lives.
Copyright 1975 Hazeleden Foundation

Tammy’s recovery links

NEW!
Twisted Thinking Making Sense Out of Nonsense:
Change Happens by Changing Your Perception
by Georgia Hughes


AA Photo Archives

Heard at A Meeting

Breast Cancer Site
Take a minute and click to provide free mammograms

MEN FIGHTING CANCER TOGETHER
America’s largest volunteer men’s cancer support group
and advocacy national nonprofit organization.

Big Book Quotes

The Universe

Prayables
http://prayables.org/



As We See It (AWSI)


Keep It Simple
Hazelden Meditations


Daily Thought

Speaker Recordings
{Under Reconstruction}

Wisdom of the Room


To comment or to unsubscribe:

Tom Murphy
C 508.221.8896
Skype txmurphy


405 Winchester Creek Rd
Waynesville, NC
28786

PASS IT ON







No comments:

Post a Comment