Monday, September 16, 2019

Your Daily Reprieve 09.17.19





Your Daily Reprieve for Tuesday September 17, 2019

From Jacksonville, FL



The same boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg…
it’s about what you’re made of…not the circumstances…
~Unknown

"Sometimes you just have to take a deep breathe, relax and let things go.
Focus on what matters to you and who matters in your life.
The rest will work itself out. Just take it one step at a time."
~Anonymous

"Unless you learn to face your own shadow,
you will continue to see them in others,
because the world outside you
is only a reflection of the world inside you."
~Gregory Braden


“What I did need and need desperately,
was not more knowledge about God, but,
with God’s help,
a deep and penetrating knowledge about myself.”
~Grapevine: 1970, Spiritual Awakenings


Big Book Quote

"Most alcoholics owe money. We do not dodge our creditors. Telling them what we are trying to do, we make no bones about our drinking; they usually know it anyway, whether we think so or not. Nor are we afraid of disclosing our alcoholism on the theory it may cause financial harm. Approached in this way, the most ruthless creditor will sometimes surprise us. Arranging the best deal we can we let these people know we are sorry. Our drinking has made us slow to pay. We must lose our fear of creditors no matter how far we have to go,
for we are liable to drink if we are afraid to face them."

~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Into Action, pg. 78~



Daily Share!

AA Speaker of the Day

BEVERLY D.
Chatsworth, CA
@Butte MT
1993



Wee Willie’s
Sobriety First Media
AA CD’s Literature and tapes






Celebrate Your Anniversary Here
SHOW NEWCOMERS HOW IT WORKS!!
Send your sober date to txm1@comcast.net



YOUR NAME
YOUR LOCATION
YEARS SOBER
6/10 (mo/day)
Bob S
Akron, OH
83

It will look like this :
6/10 Bob S. (Akron, OH).....84

September 2019 Miracles

9/1 Julia C. (Dorset, UK)…..17
9/1 Billy K. (Cutchogue, NY)…..19
9/1 George M. (Scottsdale, AZ)…..35
9/1 Richie S. (Plainview, NY)…..28
9/3 Edward H. (Andover, MA)…..36
9/4 LeeAnn N. (New York, NY)…..7
9/4 David F. (New York, NY)…..6
9/5 Chris L. (Bristol, RI)…..31
9/5 James l. ()…..27
9/6 Lisa L. (Stuart, FL)…..10
9/7 Christine L. (Exeter, NH)…..32
9/7 George D. (Port Salerno, FL)…..35
9/8 Javier M. (London, UK)…..2
9/9 Julie K. (Portsmouth, OH)…..18
9/10 Kevin D. (Nantucket, MA)…..30
9/10 Brian O. (Cushendall, Ireland)…..30
9/11 Steve F. (Nyack, NY)…..36
9/11 Deck H. (Oldwick, NJ)…..33
9/12 Sherri C. (Starke, FL)…..1
9/12 Phil C. (Austin, TX)…..9
9/13 Lisa N. (Paramus, NJ)…..8
9/14 Teresa T. (Orlando, FL)…..2
9/15 Hillary A. (New York, NY)…..2
9/15 Stanley R. (Grand Rapids, MN)…..40
9/15 Sue B. (Montpelier, VT/Gulfport, FL)…..6
9/16 Heidi L. (Waynesville, NC)…..13
9/17 Leslie N. (Cassilis, NB, Canada)…..21
9/18  Jim H. (Houston, TX)…..9
9/19 John A. (Gainseville, GA)…..8
9/19 Diana D. (Newport, RI)…..25
9/20 Donald P. (Rockland, ME)…..24
9/20 Paul T. (Hobe Sound, FL)…..8
9/21 Lisa O. (Roundhill, VA)…..5
9/21 Beth G. (Los Angeles, CA)…..40
9/21 John P. (Basking Ridge, NJ)…..4
9/23 David A. (New York City, NY)…..18
9/23 Bill G. (Marblehead, MA)…..34
9/24 Larry C. (Davenport, FL)…..29
9/24 Katie S. (New Vernon, NJ)…..19
9/25 Cate M. (Weaverville, NC)…..37
9/25 Mary D. (New Rochelle, NY)…..2
9/26 Ari B. (New York, NY)…..1
9/27 Sheila C. (Falmouth, MA)…..5
9/27 Sarah M. D. (NJ)…..2
9/28 Paul W. (Springfield, NJ)…..30
9/29 Judy F. (Nantucket/ Marathon, FL)…..27
9/29 Joan F. (Westhampton, NY/PBG, FL)…..9
9/30 Shannon L. (Garfield, NJ)…..2
9/30 Sheree H. (Bellevue, WA)…..5
9/30 Dominick N. (NY)…..37

0890 Total Years of Sobriety


12&12

Tradition Nine - "A.A., as such, ought never be organized; but we may create service boards or committees directly responsible to those they serve."

Yet Alcoholics Anonymous is an exception. It does not conform to this pattern. Neither its General Service Conference, its Foundation Board,* nor the humblest group committee can issue a single directive to an A.A. member and make it stick, let alone mete out any punishment. We've tried it lots of times, but utter failure is always the result. Groups have tried to expel members, but the banished have come back to sit in the meeting place, saying "This is life for us; you can't keep us out." Committees have instructed many an A.A. to stop working on a chronic backslider, only to be told: "How I do my Twelfth Step work is my business. Who are you to judge?" This doesn't mean an A.A. won't take advice or suggestions from more experienced members, but he surely won't take orders. Who is more unpopular than the old-time A.A., full of wisdom, who moves to another area and tries to tell the group there how to run its business? He and all like him who "view with alarm for the good of A.A." meet the most stubborn resistance or, worse still, laughter.

*In 1954, the name of the Alcoholic Foundation Inc., was changed to the General Service Board of Alcoholics Anonymous, Inc., and the Foundation office is now the General Service Office.

p. 173

Twenty-Four Hours

A.A. Thought For The Day

Step One is, "We admitted we were powerless over
alcohol--that our lives had become unmanageable."
This step states the membership requirement of A.A.
We must admit that our lives are disturbed. We must
accept the fact that we are helpless before the
power of alcohol. We must admit that we are licked
as far as drinking is concerned and that we need
help. We must be willing to accept the bitter fact
that we cannot drink like normal people. And we must
make, as gracefully as possible, a surrender to the
inevitable fact that we just stop drinking. Is it difficult
for me to admit that I am different from normal drinkers?

Meditation For The Day

"Show us the way, O Lord, and let us walk in Thy paths."
There seems to be a right way to live and a wrong way.
You can make a practical test. When you live the right
way, things seem to work out well for you. When you live
the wrong way, things seem to work out badly for you.
You seem to take out of life about what you put into it.
If you disobey the laws of nature, the chances are that
you will be unhealthy. If you disobey the spiritual and
moral laws, the chances are that you will be unhappy.
By following the laws of nature, and the spiritual laws
of honesty, purity, unselfishness, and love, you can
expect to be reasonably healthy and happy.

Prayer For The Day

I pray that I may try to live the right way.
I pray that I may follow the path that leads to a better life.


Daily Thought
^*^*^*^*^
(\    ~~    /)
(     \(
AA)/     )
(_ /
AA\ _)
/
AA\
^*^*^*^*^

Fear

"When, with God's help, we calmly accepted our lot, then we found we could live at peace with ourselves and show others who still suffered the same fears that they could get over them, too. We found that freedom from fear was more important than freedom from want."
1952 AAWS, Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions,  p. 122

Thought to Consider . . .

C
ourage is the willingness to accept fear and act anyway.

*~*AACRONYMS*~*

F E A R
Face Everything And Recover








Daily Reflection

FREEDOM FROM FEAR
When, with God's help, we calmly accepted our lot, then we
found we could live at peace with ourselves and show
others who still suffered the same fears that they could get
over them, too. We found that freedom from fear was more
important than freedom from want.
TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 122

Material values ruled my life for many years during my
active alcoholism. I believed that all of my possessions
would make me happy, yet I still felt bankrupt after I
obtained them. When I first came into A.A., I found out
about a new way of living. As a result of learning to trust
others, I began to believe in a power greater than myself.
Having faith freed me from the bondage of self. As material
gains were replaced by the gifts of the spirit, my life
became manageable. I then chose to share my experiences
with other alcoholics.




Pot Luck


Easing into Love

        I believe that I have been manipulating love since I first became rational.

                Silence is my main tool. When people displease me (when. in most cases, they don’t do what I want them to do), I shut up. I withdraw. In both voice and movement. They may ask me what is wrong, but I do not wish discuss the situation, I do not want them to speak. I want them to figure out for themselves what it is that has displeased me. I want them to fix it. I want my world restored to my own terms ASAP, and then I will love my other person as the sun loves the spring. But certainly not as one imperfect human being loves another. With tolerance, patience and understanding.
                Usually I know when I start to care about some person because I start judging
what they do. I am getting more serious about them when I start trying to change what they do. And when I start retreating into hurt huffs and sulky snits and deep chill Antarcticas of silence, then it is pretty obvious that I am really involved.

                Some kind of charm guy, huh? The kind to spend a weekend with, maybe a lifetime? Sure -  according to my terms. Because when I am pleased, when my manipulations are working, when I am getting what I want, my charm can be dazzling, my wit supreme, my care and concern for the other person virtually boundless.

                Whew! How many aspects of the program does this contradict?

                This is not living in the present. I judge others for what they have done in the past and for those infractions I threaten a miserable future.

                This behavior is not acceptance.
                It represents a refusal to surrender.
                It represents unwillingness to change.
                It represents the glory of my will and the virtual denial of everyone else’s will, including God’s.
                No doubt about it. Close relationships with other human beings often represent the toughest challenge we face in recovery.

                I often get down on my knees and ask God to grant me the grace and willingness to love without judging. As in so many other areas of my life, I ask to be freed from the bondage of self.
       

Stephen Beal, Editor, Stepping Stones to Recovery for Men




Speaker Recordings

Wee Willie’s
Sobriety First Media
AA CD’s Literature and tapes
*****

The Lights are On


Recovery Speakers
http://recoveryspeakers.com/



ARCHIVES

*NEW*
An On-Line Study Resource

Daily Meditations Group Home


Daily Meditations Archive

Blog
http://todaysreprieve.blogspot.com/




Your Daily Reprieve is now on Facebook
It is a PRIVATE GROUP
To be added, email: sober@yourdailyreprieve.com
Please share your wisdom, anecdotes and travels with other members of Your Daily Reprieve.

Twitter



AA Membership Survey (2014)

2015




Meditation Resources


*****

Loving Kindness Meditations

With Music



Voice only

*****
Free Guided Meditations
http://marc.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=22




Resources

Great Minds Quotes

BIG BOOK SEARCH ENGINE:

Twenty Four Hours a Day
Since 1954, Twenty-Four Hours a Day has become a stable force in the recovery of many alcoholics
throughout the world. With over nine million copies in print (the original text has been revised),
this "little black book" offers daily thoughts, meditations, and prayers for living a clean and sober life.
A spiritual resource with practical applications to fit our daily lives.
Copyright 1975 Hazeleden Foundation

Tammy’s recovery links

NEW!
Twisted Thinking Making Sense Out of Nonsense:
Change Happens by Changing Your Perception
by Georgia Hughes


AA Photo Archives

Heard at A Meeting

Breast Cancer Site
Take a minute and click to provide free mammograms

MEN FIGHTING CANCER TOGETHER
America’s largest volunteer men’s cancer support group
and advocacy national nonprofit organization.

Big Book Quotes

The Universe

Prayables
http://prayables.org/



As We See It (AWSI)


Keep It Simple
Hazelden Meditations


Daily Thought

Speaker Recordings
{Under Reconstruction}

Wisdom of the Room



To comment or to unsubscribe:

Tom Murphy
C 508.221.8896
Skype txmurphy


405 Winchester Creek Rd
Waynesville, NC
28786

PASS IT ON









No comments:

Post a Comment